Carrie Fisher Clarifies Her Comment on Returning to New 'Star Wars'
Earlier on Friday, November 16, Carrie Fisher sparked online frenzy after allegedly confirming that she would indeed reprise her role as Princess Leia in "Star Wars Episode 7". Die-hard fans of the original "Star Wars" were very happy with the good news, but that was before Fisher sent out her representative to clarify that she was not serious with her statement.
Pouring cold water on the swirling reports, Fisher's rep told E! News that the actress was only joking with her comment. "She hasn't confirmed anything," the rep insisted. "Everything you've seen has been tongue-in-cheek."
Reports that Fisher would return as Mrs. Solo started running rampant after a reader on The Force.Net claimed the actress confirmed her casting during a booksigning session in Cherry Hill, New Jersey on November 15. The fan asked the actress, "Are you really going to be in a new 'Star Wars' movie?' " to which Fisher responded, "Yes... I thought it was already common knowledge."
"Star Wars" devotees have been hoping that Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford will return as Leia, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo respectively in "Episode 7". Ford has said he's "open" to the idea, and though Fisher hasn't said anything about her potential to return to the massive franchise, she admitted to have some ideas for her character should she get recast.
"I like to think of it as 'old Leia', like, sway-backed old Leia the horse," she said in an interview with "The Talk". "I like the idea of being Mrs. Solo, and we've just fought and fought and I killed him, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry - that's right, I feel badly and I probably had an affair with some general."
Currently hunting for a new director, "Star Wars Episode 7" will hit theaters Stateside sometime in 2015. The much-talked-about film project has already tapped Oscar winner Michael Ardnt as its screenwriter.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Lead Music Nominees
- Is Nicki Minaj the Reason Drake Can't Fully Commit to Rihanna?
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Pretty Little Liars' and 'Vampire Diaries' Dominate TV Nominations
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates 2nd Wedding Anniversary With Kanye West in Italy
- Jason Derulo Splits From Girlfriend Daphne Joy
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'