Kendrick Lamar Staples Center Concert Shut Down by Police
"Swimming Pools" rapper Kendrick Lamar, gets his mic cut off and his speakers shut down as local authorities forced a stop to his free concert at the Staples Center in L.A., home court for the Los Angeles Lakers. K-Dot tweeted about the secret show on Friday, November 16 after a Lakers game which then instantly drew an unexpected huge number of spectators at the corner of 12th and Figueroa that apparently was too chaotic for the cops' peace and order standards.
The surprise show was part of the musician's gig for Yahoo!'s Crash Concerts and came on the eve of his "good kid, m.A.A.d city" release. A massive crowd of eager fans and bystanders swarmed the L.A. streets after hearing news of the live performance and in no time, the number of people exceeded the limit allowed by the city.
Lamar set up his Crash Concert on top of a double decker bus complete with DJ equipment and the Yahoo! logo for the show. The hometown emcee was able to perform his singles "Swimming Pools", "The Recipe", and a bonus from his "Section .80" set before police choppers and patrol cars went in to disperse the crowd and pull the plug for the entire show.
In an interview with Yahoo! for the secret concert, K-Dot commented, "I wanted to do something special... that actually made a point, made a statement. Better to do it in our hometown, right after the Laker game. I've never done a surprise show like this."
More Kendrick Lamar News
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris
- Khloe Kardashian Refuses to Attend Rob's Wedding, Says He's 'Full of Bulls**t'
- Lea Michele Teases 'Scream Queens' Season 2 With This Picture
- Ariel Winter Announces She's Single With Kim Kardashian Meme. See the Funny Clip!
- Watch Beyonce, Desiigner, Bryson Tiller Rock the 2016 BET Awards
- 'Finding Dory' Beats 'Independence Day: Resurgence' at Box Office
- Drake Gets Eighth Week at Billboard 200's No. 1, RHCP Starts at No. 2
- Photos: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Hit the Beach in U.K. Joined by His Family