R.E.M. Release New Video 'Blue' Starring Lindsay Lohan and Directed by James Franco
Rock legend R.E.M.'s break up more than a year ago did not stop its members from giving one final go at their music with the release of a video for the track "Blue". The single is from the band's final 2011 album "Collapse Into Now", while its video is directed by eccentric actor James Franco, and features controversial actress-singer Lindsay Lohan.
"Blue" opens with a contradicting shot of a sign, which says "The End", and then goes into dissolves of nausea-inducing, hand-held and blurry shots of city streets, walking people, party scenes, worm's eye view of The Hollywood Walk of Fame, and aerial shots of the Los Angeles skyline. The series of images look like something straight off an experimental independent thriller movie.
The mix of disturbing and dizzying clips suddenly reveal scenes of Lohan posing for a video/photo shoot with famed celebrity photographer Terry Richardson at the Chateau Marmont while the night lights and hazy scenes of L.A. swirl around her.
The "Blue" video is part of the Collapse Into Now Film project launched back in March 2011. It tapped different artists to produce short films for every single track on the band's 2011 album. R.E.M.'s frontman Michael Stipe explained, "I went to people I really wanted to work with and I could trust them to do whatever they wanted. They had absolute free rein. In many instances I was surprised, in many instances I got what I wanted."
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake Presents Rihanna With Video Vanguard Award
- MTV VMAs 2016: Jimmy Fallon Appears Onstage as Ryan Lochte, Throws Major Shade at Him
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Leads Full List of Winners With Six Trophies
- MTV VMAs 2016: Future Performs 'F**k Up Some Commas', Nick Jonas Brings 'Bacon'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Reenacts 'Lemonade' Visuals, Britney Spears Slays 'Make Me'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Alicia Keys Goes Make Up Free as She Honors MLK With a Poem
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger