Quentin Tarantino Hints at Retirement as Director After 10th Film
Despite the fact that he's known as a critically-acclaimed filmmaker, Quentin Tarantino seemingly knows when he should stop making movie. As his latest directorial effort, "Django Unchained", gets closer to hit theaters, Tarantino hints that he's already planning to retire from filmmaking probably after his tenth movie.
"I just don't want to be an old-man filmmaker. I want to stop at a certain point," Tarantino tells Playboy. "Directors don't get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f***s up three good ones..."
The "Pulp Fiction" helmer goes on explaining why he might want to give up his directing career at relatively young age, "When directors get out-of-date, it's not pretty. I'm on a journey that needs to have an end and not be about me trying to get another job. I want this artistic journey to have a climax. I want to work toward something."
Hinting that he might stop making movie after his 10th pic, the 49-year-old director says, "You stop when you stop, but in a fanciful world, 10 movies in my filmography would be nice." He adds, "I've made seven. If I have a change of heart, if I come up with a new story, I could come back. But if I stop at 10, that would be okay as an artistic statement."
During the chat, Tarantino also opens up about getting high during the production of his films. "I wouldn't do anything impaired while making a movie. I don't so much write high, but say you're thinking about a musical sequence. You smoke a joint, you put on some music, you listen to it and you come up with some good ideas...I don't need pot to write, but it's kind of cool," he dishes.
Tarantino's upcoming Spaghetti Western film "Django Unchained" will come out in theaters across the U.S. on December 25. The highly-praised movie is supported by a host of A-listers including Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Kerry Washington and Jonah Hill.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip