Jon Bon Jovi's Daughter Escapes Drug Charges in Heroin Overdose Case
Stephanie Bongiovi, the 19-year-old daughter of veteran rocker Jon Bon Jovi, got drug charges against her dropped. The student, who was arrested for possessing a small amount of heroin and marijuana following her overdose in her dorm room, was off the hook, thanks to a so-called Good Samaritan law passed last year.
She was originally arrested for misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance along with her male friend, Ian Grant. Like her, the 21-year-old guy benefitted from the 2011 New York state law. He was the one who called 911 for help following the life-threatening situation at the dormitory of Hamilton College where the two are studying.
The law was signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo in July last year in an effort to reduce overdose deaths by urging people to contact 911 without fear of legal consequences. It prohibits anyone having a drug overdose or seeking aid for an overdose victim from getting prosecuted for having a small amount of controlled substance.
"People will say she got away with murder because of who she is, but this law was passed so people don't watch somebody die because they're afraid of jail," Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara explained to the New York Daily News. "And you don't want the person overdosing to say, 'No, don't call'."
It would have been a different story if she and her friend possessed more than 8 ounces of heroin, which they did not. "It was an insignificant amount. Heroin does not weigh that much in the first place," the DA continued, insisting that the decision had nothing to do with her status as a celebrity's daughter. "We had no other choice but to dismiss the case."
Stephanie was rushed to hospital after she was found unresponsive at the Dunham Hall dorm around 2 A.M. Wednesday, November 14. She was charged with misdemeanor possession of heroin, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor use of drug paraphernalia. Her friend Ian was also booked for misdemeanor drug possession.
The Bon Jovi lead singer hasn't commented on his daughter's overdose. The 50-year-old rocker has three sons, in addition to daughter Stephanie.
- Bella Thorne Gets Nipple Piercing, Shares Naked Photo
- Is Drake Cheating on J.Lo With This Porn Star in Amsterdam?
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci