Christopher McQuarrie Could Direct Tom Cruise in 'Mission: Impossible V'
Tom Cruise's "Mission: Impossible V" project might be close to find its new director. After Brad Bird confirmed he wouldn't helm the fifth "Mission: Impossible" movie, Paramount Pictures has now set its eyes on Christopher McQuarrie to direct Cruise's signature action film franchise.
According to Deadline, McQuarrie is Cruise and producer J.J. Abrams' top choice for "M:I5" which is still in the early phase of development. Paramount and Skydance Production will soon hire writers to make the project official. Should McQuarrie close the deal, the Oscar winner will reunite with Cruise after they teamed up for "Jack Reacher" and "Valkyrie".
Though "M:I5" is likely still a long way to go, Paramount has made the project one of its top priorities. Cruise himself is equally excited about the next chapter in the Ethan Hunt saga and he recently shared that he already had some ideas for the concept of the upcoming movie.
"We're already working on different images. Talking conceptually," the "Rock of Ages" actor told Total Film. "I love traveling around promoting different movies because I'm always looking at different places, and I always walk around to see the city. I look at architecture, subways... coming up with different sequences."
The last installment of the franchise, "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol" took in $209,3 million domestically and $693 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film in the series. It also became the highest-grossing Cruise-starring movie, knocking down 2005's "War of the Worlds".
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie