'Star Trek Into Darkness' to Premiere First Footage Before 'Hobbit' Screenings
After waiting for quite a while, fans will finally have a chance to see the first ever footage from "Star Trek Into Darkness" in a foreseeable future. This time around, they will not be treated to a "blink-and-you-miss-it clip" since Paramount Pictures promises to unveil the first nine minutes of the highly-anticipated "Star Trek" sequel.
The studio will release the footage in IMAX theaters on December 14, before the screenings of Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". Upon announcing the news, IMAX Filmed Entertainment President, Greg Foster, says, "Our longtime partners J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and the Bad Robot team have really hit it out of the park - the footage is absolutely incredible."
"Their use of the IMAX Camera and canvas is sure to impress current and future Star Trek fans alike," he goes on gushing, "and we're thrilled to once again work with our friends at Paramount Pictures to offer this extended 'first look' at this highly anticipated summer blockbuster."
"Star Trek 2" is using IMAX cameras to capture several sequences. Exclusively in IMAX theaters, sequences filmed with the extremely high-resolution cameras will expand to fill more of the screen with unprecedented crispness and clarity, putting moviegoers right into the explosive action and vast scope of the film.
Before this announcement is made, director Abrams has been infamously known for always being uber secretive with the project. Last month, he shocked Conan O'Brien after promising to reveal a first ever clip for the movie on "CONAN". After giving a warning that the footage was not "longer than three frames," Abrams played the "clip" which apparently lasted for less than two seconds. He then gave a hint that the super short clip saw Spock (Zachary Quinto) "in a volcano, in a crazy suit."
To open wide in the U.S. theaters on May 17, 2013, "Star Trek 2" also stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg and John Cho.
- New 'Jumanji' Movie Will Center on Video Game Instead of Magical Board Game
- Calvin Harris Announces New Single Featuring Pharrell, Ariana Grande and Young Thug
- New Boyfriend? Ellie Goulding Spotted Getting Cozy With Athlete Caspar Jopling
- 'The Flash' 3.19 Preview: Meet Future Barry Allen
- Natalie Portman Will Portray Bull Rider in 'Bronco Belle'
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon