One Direction Draw Record-Breaking Audience Number for 'Today'
The streets of Rockefeller Plaza in New York were filled up with literally thousands of screaming, wild fans as the supergroup One Direction gave a crowd rockin' performance on the "Today" show on Tuesday, November 13. The long-running TV show saw its largest audience number ever with an estimated 15,000 plus crowd all raving at the British-Irish boyband's on stage moves.
According to co-host Al Roker, the attendance that morning was bigger than any crowd in the show's history. Large flocks of One Directioners also camped out since Thursday in the hope of catching even just a short glimpse of band members Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson.
1D opened the show with a performance of "What Makes You Beautiful" from their debut LP "Up All Night", which was then followed by their upbeat hit "Live While We're Young" and the Ed Sheeran-penned ballad "Little Things". The two songs are from the fivesome's sophomore release "Take Me Home" which was also officially launched that day.
The teen sensations did not forget to thank their fans for showing their support and showing up that day despite all the troubles New York City has faced with the recent Hurricane Sandy devastation.
"I think for us it's unbelievable to see the fans support," member Harry Styles said on the live show. "I think in spite of everything that happened, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that's been affected by Hurricane Sandy and to see everyone come out still when everything's happened is absolutely amazing. It means so much to us."
The boyband's performance also came with their surprise announcement of a 3-D movie they are starring in. "Super Size Me" director, Morgan Spurlock, will direct the flick, which is set to hit theaters on August 30.
"What Makes You Beautiful":
More One Direction News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says