One Direction Draw Record-Breaking Audience Number for 'Today'
The streets of Rockefeller Plaza in New York were filled up with literally thousands of screaming, wild fans as the supergroup One Direction gave a crowd rockin' performance on the "Today" show on Tuesday, November 13. The long-running TV show saw its largest audience number ever with an estimated 15,000 plus crowd all raving at the British-Irish boyband's on stage moves.
According to co-host Al Roker, the attendance that morning was bigger than any crowd in the show's history. Large flocks of One Directioners also camped out since Thursday in the hope of catching even just a short glimpse of band members Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson.
1D opened the show with a performance of "What Makes You Beautiful" from their debut LP "Up All Night", which was then followed by their upbeat hit "Live While We're Young" and the Ed Sheeran-penned ballad "Little Things". The two songs are from the fivesome's sophomore release "Take Me Home" which was also officially launched that day.
The teen sensations did not forget to thank their fans for showing their support and showing up that day despite all the troubles New York City has faced with the recent Hurricane Sandy devastation.
"I think for us it's unbelievable to see the fans support," member Harry Styles said on the live show. "I think in spite of everything that happened, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that's been affected by Hurricane Sandy and to see everyone come out still when everything's happened is absolutely amazing. It means so much to us."
The boyband's performance also came with their surprise announcement of a 3-D movie they are starring in. "Super Size Me" director, Morgan Spurlock, will direct the flick, which is set to hit theaters on August 30.
"What Makes You Beautiful":
More One Direction News
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie