Janeane Garofalo Unknowingly Married to 'Big Bang Theory' Producer for 20 Years
Janeane Garofalo was married to Robert Cohen for 20 years, but neither she nor the TV producer knew it. The stand-up comedienne opened up about the matter when attending a New York Comedy Festival reunion for "The Ben Stiller Show".
Garofalo said she and Cohen dated in the '90s for a year and tied the knot in a drive-thru chapel in Las Vegas on a drunken night. They never thought the marriage was legit until Cohen's lawyer found it out when he was preparing for his real wedding.
"[We thought] you have to go down to the courthouse and sign papers and stuff, so who knew?" Garofalo said as quoted by New York Post. "We were married, and apparently now that [Rob] is getting married for real, his lawyer dug up something."
They got their divorce notarized at a TD Bank in Midtown just earlier in the day before the event. "Rob and I got married, for real, which we had to have a notary dissolve not 30 minutes before we got here tonight," she said. "We were married for 20 years until this evening."
Director Judd Apatow jokingly asked whether either Garofalo or Cohen had financially benefitted from the divorce. "I'm gonna get all of that 'Reality Bites' money!" Cohen cracked, referring to Garofalo's 1994 romcom, which became Stiller's directorial debut and grossed $21 million.
At the event dubbed "Oddly Familiar" at the Paley Center for Media, Garofalo also revisited her dating days with Cohen. "I'm sure I was terrible," she said, to which Cohen replied, "I will confirm that."
Cohen who was a writer on Stiller's show now serves as a producer on "The Big Bang Theory". He is currently engaged to Jill Leiderman, a producer on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!".
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences