Sean Penn Lands Action Role in 'Prone Gunman'
Sean Penn has landed his latest movie project which will likely become his own potential action film franchise. The Hollywood Reporter learns that the Oscar-winning veteran actor, who is best known for his works in various highly-praised drama films, is set to jump into the action thriller genre in a movie called "Prone Gunman".
The project is adapted from Jean-Patrick Manchette's book which focuses on Martin Terrier, an international operative. Penn will tackle the character, who is betrayed by the organization he works for and is forced to go on the run in a relentless game of cat-and-mouse across Europe.
Though it is an action genre, the story is dubbed an "existentialist and involving explorations of politics as well as the human condition." THR reports that the script will be written by Peter Travis, while no director has been tapped. Serving as the producers will be Joel Silver and Andrew Rona through their Silver Pictures banner.
Penn joins some over 50-year-old veteran thesps who take on the lead roles in action pics lately. Liam Neeson starred in "Taken 2" recently, while Bruce Willis will return to "A Good Day to Die Hard". Meanwhile, Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to star in some new actioners including "The Last Stand", and Sylvester Stallone will appear in "Bullet to the Head".
As for Penn, in addition to "Prone Gunman", the 52-year-old actor will be seen playing a mob kingpin in "Gangster Squad". The film will open Stateside on January 11, 2013. He's most recently seen playing a Robert Smith-like rock star in drama "This Must Be the Place".
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart