Victoria's Secret to Cut Indian Costume From Broadcast Following Protest
Viewers won't see Karlie Kloss walking on the runway wearing Native American-style costume when Victoria's Secret Fashion Show airs December 4 on CBS. The brand has decided to yank portion of the show from broadcast after it offended people, especially Native Americans, by putting an Indian feather headdress on the leopard-print lingerie-clad model.
Feather headdresses or war bonnets are a symbol of bravery and usually worn by Indian chiefs and honored warriors, but not women. Those who criticized the use of the headdres claimed the company disrespected the Native American cultures and history.
"We are sorry that the Native American headdress replica used in our recent fashion show has upset individuals," Victoria's Secret took to its Facebook page to offer its apology. "We sincerely apologize as we absolutely had no intention to offend anyone. Out of respect, we will not be including the outfit in any broadcast, marketing materials nor in any other way."
Kloss has also expressed her regret, tweeting, "I am deeply sorry if what I wore during the VS Show offended anyone. I support VS's decision to remove the outfit from the broadcast."
This year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show took place November 7 at the Lexington Avenue Armory in New York City. Miranda Kerr and Alessandra Ambrosio were among other models supporting the event, while Rihanna and Justin Bieber made performances on the stage.
Just days before the show sparked protest for the use of Indian headdress, No Doubt were forced to pull its "Looking Hot" music video since its content and theme, which features a war between Western cowboys and Indians, offended Native Americans.
More Karlie Kloss News
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'
- Chloe Moretz: 'I Wanted a Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Age 16
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk Talk About Building a Future and Having Kids Together
- Check Out These New 'Fast 8' Ice Cars From Iceland Set
- Kelly Clarkson Signs With Atlantic Records, Readies Soul Album for Next Year
- Jesse Is Back on 'The Flash' in Season 3. Will She Turn Into Speedster?
- Justin Bieber Sprains His Ankle After Basketball Game, Tells Fans Not to Worry