Victoria's Secret to Cut Indian Costume From Broadcast Following Protest
Viewers won't see Karlie Kloss walking on the runway wearing Native American-style costume when Victoria's Secret Fashion Show airs December 4 on CBS. The brand has decided to yank portion of the show from broadcast after it offended people, especially Native Americans, by putting an Indian feather headdress on the leopard-print lingerie-clad model.
Feather headdresses or war bonnets are a symbol of bravery and usually worn by Indian chiefs and honored warriors, but not women. Those who criticized the use of the headdres claimed the company disrespected the Native American cultures and history.
"We are sorry that the Native American headdress replica used in our recent fashion show has upset individuals," Victoria's Secret took to its Facebook page to offer its apology. "We sincerely apologize as we absolutely had no intention to offend anyone. Out of respect, we will not be including the outfit in any broadcast, marketing materials nor in any other way."
Kloss has also expressed her regret, tweeting, "I am deeply sorry if what I wore during the VS Show offended anyone. I support VS's decision to remove the outfit from the broadcast."
This year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show took place November 7 at the Lexington Avenue Armory in New York City. Miranda Kerr and Alessandra Ambrosio were among other models supporting the event, while Rihanna and Justin Bieber made performances on the stage.
Just days before the show sparked protest for the use of Indian headdress, No Doubt were forced to pull its "Looking Hot" music video since its content and theme, which features a war between Western cowboys and Indians, offended Native Americans.
More Karlie Kloss News
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?
- Fifth Harmony, Nick Viall and Nancy Kerrigan to Join 'DWTS' Season 24
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date