Matthew McConaughey Sparks Concern Over His Extreme Diet for 'Dallas Buyer's Club'
Matthew McConaughey didn't hesitate to undergo a very extreme diet to support his role as an AIDS patient in "The Dallas Buyer's Club". The "Magic Mike" actor prompted concern after he was spotted looking more skeletal than ever on the set of the movie in New Orleans on Sunday, November 11. He was accompanied by his kids and wife Camila Alves, who showed her growing baby bump.
Looking shockingly frail, Matthew rocked a plaid shirt and blue jeans as well as sported longer hair and mustache when he was spotted on the set. Last Friday, he also sparked frenzy when revealing his super gaunt look at LAX. Donning a long-sleeved blue shirt, he was seen walking solo at the airport with the new look which was a fry cry from his buffed look as Dallas in "Magic Mike".
Matthew reportedly axed his weight from 182 to 143 pounds. A source told PEOPLE, "Matthew starts shooting this weekend, so he's at his absolute lowest weight. In a month, he'll begin to put it back on." The actor himself admitted that he has been fasting and only ate "small amounts" of high-protein, low-carb food to lose weight.
"I'll get down to the wight I need to get to," he told Us Weekly. "I'm on my way, and it's what I need to do for the job," he said before explaining, "I'm playing a guy who was sick and would have loved to have been healthier but wasn't. For me, it's more of a mental thing than a physical thing."
In "Dallas Buyer's Club", Matthew stars as Ron Woodroof, a real-life figure who was also a heterosexual man diagnosed with AIDS in 1986. Given only a few months to live, Woodroof began to smuggle alternative and illegal treatments into the U.S. and into the hands of other AIDS patients.
Matthew will be joined by Jennifer Garner and Jared Leto in the movie. Leto will play a flamboyant cross-dresser that is also a fellow AIDS patient who meets McConaughey's character in the hospital. Jean Marc Vallee serves behind the lens with Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack teaming up to pen the script. The film still hasn't got a U.S. release date.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers