Paul McCartney and Wife Narrowly Escaped Helicopter Crash
Paul McCartney and his wife Nancy Shevell almost got into a fatal helicopter crash. The incident happened when the couple returned to their East Sussex home at night in a chartered nine-seater helicopter after attending his daughter Mary's book launch in the West End.
The near-fatal incident occurred in May, but it was not revealed until recently. Sir Paul and his wife failed to land on a helipad surrounded by woodland at their estate when the pilot of their chopper became "disorientated" due to "low cloudbase, poor visibility and rain."
The helicopter reportedly was just mere feet from crashing on the tree-lushed area and making a potentially fatal crash, but the pilot was fortunately able to pull the aircraft away from the tree tops and diverted it safely to Lydd Airport in Kent, 15 miles from Sir Paul's house.
Although the chopper finally landed safely, the decision to suddenly maneuver the engine in immense pressure actually was a big risk since the move could be dangerous as well. Air Accidents Investigation Branch categorized it as a "serious incident" and has launched investigation into it.
A rep for Air Harrods, which runs the helicopter service, acknowledged the incident to The Mail on Sunday and confirmed investigation was ongoing. A spokesperson for the former member of The Beatles said, "Paul has been spoken to. It has been put to him, everything. It's a no comment."
More Paul McCartney News
- Katy Perry's Backup Dancer Falls Offstage During Her BRIT Award Performance
- Rooney Mara's Isla Tries to Commit Suicide in New 'The Discovery' Trailer
- Matt Damon Urging Ben Affleck to Find a New Wife Amid Jennifer Garner Divorce Rumors
- Scarlett Johansson All Smiles During Lunch Date With Mystery Man After Romain Dauriac Split
- The Chainsmokers and Coldplay Team Up for Love Song 'Something Just Like This'
- Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz Are 'Living Separate Lives'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Taps John Ortiz to Star as New Charter President
- Angelina Jolie May Soon Star in 'Maleficent 2'