Rachael Ray Donating $500,000 for Pets Affected by Hurricane Sandy
For her love of animals, Rachael Ray has donated $500,000 and four tons of pet food for pets who were affected by the Hurricane Sandy. The show host handed the money to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) which had rescued more than 250 animals after the storm devastated the East Coast.
Rachael's Rescue, a move that she has created to help mistreated and abandoned animals taken in by shelters, will ship out both wet and dry dog food from her Nutrish brand to devastated areas. "When you make your living in food, you have to give back in the same way," Ray said on Friday, November 9. The sale of Nutrish has funded $4 million of donations to date.
In addition, her non-profit Yum-o! organization is donating $100,000 to City Harvest and the Food Bank for New York City. The money will be used to lease a building that can be used as a central shelter for the animal victims and to continue searching for lost pets, provide mobile veterinary services and hand out supplies. "I hope this becomes a center of very happy endings," Ray added.
A number of other celebrities have joined the relief effort for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Lady GaGa pledged $1 million to the Red Cross, Justin Bieber to donate a part of his tour proceeds, Rihanna provided 1,000 sleeping bags to those in need and will make a donation of $100,000 to the Food Bank for New York City.
- Tiny Harris Fake Facebook Stirs Up Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Affair Rumor
- Michael Bay Has Initial Idea for an R-Rated 'Bumblebee' Spin-Off
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Gets Animated in Bizarre Video for 'Sick Love'
- Mariah Carey's New Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Admits He's 'Always Had a Thing' for Her
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Promises 'Refreshing' 'Celebrity Apprentice' in New Sneak Peek
- 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Backlash Is 'Ridiculous,' Says Bernardo Bertolucci
- Jimmy Kimmel's Wife Molly McNearney Is Pregnant With Their Second Child
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4