Rachael Ray Donating $500,000 for Pets Affected by Hurricane Sandy
For her love of animals, Rachael Ray has donated $500,000 and four tons of pet food for pets who were affected by the Hurricane Sandy. The show host handed the money to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) which had rescued more than 250 animals after the storm devastated the East Coast.
Rachael's Rescue, a move that she has created to help mistreated and abandoned animals taken in by shelters, will ship out both wet and dry dog food from her Nutrish brand to devastated areas. "When you make your living in food, you have to give back in the same way," Ray said on Friday, November 9. The sale of Nutrish has funded $4 million of donations to date.
In addition, her non-profit Yum-o! organization is donating $100,000 to City Harvest and the Food Bank for New York City. The money will be used to lease a building that can be used as a central shelter for the animal victims and to continue searching for lost pets, provide mobile veterinary services and hand out supplies. "I hope this becomes a center of very happy endings," Ray added.
A number of other celebrities have joined the relief effort for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Lady GaGa pledged $1 million to the Red Cross, Justin Bieber to donate a part of his tour proceeds, Rihanna provided 1,000 sleeping bags to those in need and will make a donation of $100,000 to the Food Bank for New York City.
- 'The Walking Dead' Alternate Take on Negan Kills Leaks Online
- Michael Fassbender Reveals New Name of Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant', New Details Leak
- Kim Kardashian Drops Lawsuit After Tabloid Apologizes for Fake Robbery Claims
- Pharrell Releases Two New Songs From 'Hidden Figures' Soundtrack
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maureen McCormick Is Eliminated, Sharna Burgess Dances Through Injury
- Margot Robbie Close to Joining 'Peter Rabbit' Movie
- Suge Knight Accusing Dr. Dre of Hiring a Hitman to Kill Him
- Report: Cara Delevingne Is Dating Dakota Johnson