Rachael Ray Donating $500,000 for Pets Affected by Hurricane Sandy
For her love of animals, Rachael Ray has donated $500,000 and four tons of pet food for pets who were affected by the Hurricane Sandy. The show host handed the money to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) which had rescued more than 250 animals after the storm devastated the East Coast.
Rachael's Rescue, a move that she has created to help mistreated and abandoned animals taken in by shelters, will ship out both wet and dry dog food from her Nutrish brand to devastated areas. "When you make your living in food, you have to give back in the same way," Ray said on Friday, November 9. The sale of Nutrish has funded $4 million of donations to date.
In addition, her non-profit Yum-o! organization is donating $100,000 to City Harvest and the Food Bank for New York City. The money will be used to lease a building that can be used as a central shelter for the animal victims and to continue searching for lost pets, provide mobile veterinary services and hand out supplies. "I hope this becomes a center of very happy endings," Ray added.
A number of other celebrities have joined the relief effort for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Lady GaGa pledged $1 million to the Red Cross, Justin Bieber to donate a part of his tour proceeds, Rihanna provided 1,000 sleeping bags to those in need and will make a donation of $100,000 to the Food Bank for New York City.
- Colin Farrell Joins Tim Burton's 'Dumbo' live-Action Movie
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction