Halle Berry Loses Custody Battle to Bring Daughter to France
Halle Berry has to postpone her intention to permanently bring her daughter Nahla Ariela Aubry to Paris, France to stay with her and fiance Olivier Martinez. On November 9, a Los Angeles judge rejected her request to move the 4-year-old girl to the City of Light. The actress had been in a custody battle with her former boyfriend and Nahla's father, Gabriel Aubry.
Halle chose France as their new home because she believed that the country is safer for her loved ones while Los Angeles paparazzi made them live uncomfortably in California. The 46-year-old actress denied that she tried to remove Gabriel from Nahla's life. Hoping to stay in touch with his daughter, Gabriel was against the request.
"It's the appeal of privacy and a greater sense of safety for Nahla," the "Perfect Stranger" actress told InStyle about the reason why she wanted to move her kid. "I don't want her to grow up around the tabloids. Because we are followed all the time, she is starting to feel like she is somehow special, and of course she is, but I want her to understand that she's special because of who she is, not because she was born into this celebrity blender."
The "X-Men: The Last Stand" star broke up with Gabriel on April 30, 2010. The ex-couple then fought over their only daughter's custody in the middle of Halle's tight filming schedule. In April 2011, they reached a win-win solution with the help of a judge without detailing the result.
"When there's a child involved, it's a relief when you can resolve things in a good way," she said at the time. "Our issues were never about fighting for her. We both know a child needs both parents. But what I want to say about it is sometimes, as a couple, you reach an impasse. We needed a court and a judge to help us work out some of the delicate issues, and I'm so happy we've reached at that place."
More Halle Berry News
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!