Carly Rae Jepsen Accused of Stealing 'Call Me Maybe' From Ukrainian Singer
A Ukrainian singer claimed Carly Rae Jepsen stole her Christmas song "Hunky Santa" and made it "Call Me Maybe". However, Jepsen flatly denied the allegation, saying through her representative that she is a songwriter who doesn't listen to a lot of Ukranian radio.
Aza filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles via her lawyer Barry Rothman, asking for unspecified amount of damages. "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song," she told TMZ. "They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."
In the lawsuit, Aza also named Scooter Braun who managed both Jepsen and Justin Bieber. Responding to the lawsuit, Jepsen's rep said, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."
Jepsen is also in the middle of another song dispute. Alabama-based singer-songwriter, Allyson Nichole Burnett, filed a copyright infringement lawsuit filed in a California federal court last month. Burnett said Jepsen's duet with Owl City, "Good Time", was patterned on a prominent motif of her 2010 song called "Ah, It's a Love Song".
Aza's "Hunky Santa":
More Carly Rae Jepsen News
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour