Carly Rae Jepsen Accused of Stealing 'Call Me Maybe' From Ukrainian Singer
A Ukrainian singer claimed Carly Rae Jepsen stole her Christmas song "Hunky Santa" and made it "Call Me Maybe". However, Jepsen flatly denied the allegation, saying through her representative that she is a songwriter who doesn't listen to a lot of Ukranian radio.
Aza filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles via her lawyer Barry Rothman, asking for unspecified amount of damages. "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song," she told TMZ. "They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."
In the lawsuit, Aza also named Scooter Braun who managed both Jepsen and Justin Bieber. Responding to the lawsuit, Jepsen's rep said, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."
Jepsen is also in the middle of another song dispute. Alabama-based singer-songwriter, Allyson Nichole Burnett, filed a copyright infringement lawsuit filed in a California federal court last month. Burnett said Jepsen's duet with Owl City, "Good Time", was patterned on a prominent motif of her 2010 song called "Ah, It's a Love Song".
Aza's "Hunky Santa":
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?