Carly Rae Jepsen Accused of Stealing 'Call Me Maybe' From Ukrainian Singer
A Ukrainian singer claimed Carly Rae Jepsen stole her Christmas song "Hunky Santa" and made it "Call Me Maybe". However, Jepsen flatly denied the allegation, saying through her representative that she is a songwriter who doesn't listen to a lot of Ukranian radio.
Aza filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles via her lawyer Barry Rothman, asking for unspecified amount of damages. "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song," she told TMZ. "They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."
In the lawsuit, Aza also named Scooter Braun who managed both Jepsen and Justin Bieber. Responding to the lawsuit, Jepsen's rep said, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."
Jepsen is also in the middle of another song dispute. Alabama-based singer-songwriter, Allyson Nichole Burnett, filed a copyright infringement lawsuit filed in a California federal court last month. Burnett said Jepsen's duet with Owl City, "Good Time", was patterned on a prominent motif of her 2010 song called "Ah, It's a Love Song".
Aza's "Hunky Santa":
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless in New Sultry Selfie
- Report: Emma Watson Getting Married in Big Sur This Summer
- See Hilarious Horror-Themed Memes of Trump's Awkward Photo With Pope Francis
- New Beau? Mischa Barton Caught Getting Handsy With Mystery Man in Cannes
- HBO Renews 'Veep' and 'Silicon Valley' for 2017-2018 Seasons