Tom Hanks Swindled by Rotten Insurance Agent
Tom Hanks was swindled by Southern California insurance agent Jerry B. Goldman, according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice. The insurance agent was jailed on Wednesday morning, November 7 after a federal grand jury charged him for mail fraud and swindling money. The insurance broker overbilled four victims, including the "Angels & Demons" actor, for more than $800,000 on insurance policies.
The indictment states, "In order to lull his clients into a false sense of security and to prevent clients from complaining to federal or state authorities or bringing a lawsuit against him, when clients asked him for copies of their insurance policies, defendant Goldman sent copies of the insurance policies to the clients and redacted the true premium from the policy documentation to prevent his clients from discovering that they had been overcharged." The grand jury didn't specify the exact loss of each dupe.
According to feds, Jerry stated in the insurance policies that he would cover everything from cars, property, fine art, flood, fire, earthquakes, worker's compensation, and personal practices liability. The mail was delivered to the victims between May 2008 and 2011, and each of 10 count could sentence the insurance broker for 20 years in federal prison.
The four victims were identified as T.H., M.W.H., S.R., and A.S. The prosecutor has confirmed that the initial T.H. referred to the veteran actor, Tom. Meanwhile, the last mentioned victim has been confirmed as musician Andy Summers. So far, the "Catch Me If You Can" actor hasn't made any comments about the case.
More Tom Hanks News
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC
- Kiersey Clemons Confirmed to Star as Iris West in 'The Flash' Movie
- Mariah Carey's Fiance James Packer Grabs Her Boob While Partying in Italy
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years