'Top Gun 2' Might Not Happen but Original Film Could Get 3D Re-Release in 2013
Fans will not see Tom Cruise returning to "Top Gun 2" after all since the long-gestating project has been dismissed by Paramount Pictures. The New York Times reports that the sequel to 1986 hit "Top Gun" has "fallen apart" following Tony Scott's shocking suicide back on August 19.
Still, there's a chance to see the original "Top Gun" returning to theaters as the studio is considering to release the 3D version of the movie. Completed earlier this year by Legend3D, the converted version of the film is reportedly projected to be released sometime in February 2013, beginning with a one-week exclusive showing in IMAX theaters in the United States.
The plan to release "Top Gun" in 3D is also made as a tribute to Tony. It is said that the younger brother of Ridley Scott "contributed and responded enthusiastically to the conversion in the weeks before his death." Representatives for Paramount have yet to confirm the re-release plan reportedly because the plan hasn't been finalized by the studio.
Tony had done some researches with Tom Cruise for the "Top Gun" sequel project shortly before jumping off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. In August, it was reported that the two were seen touring a Naval air station in Nevada as part of their research for the planned action movie.
Plans to make "Top Gun 2" itself were confirmed in May this year. At the time, Paramount Motion Picture Group president Adam Goodman said, "Jerry Bruckheimer would produce, with Tony Scott returning to direct. All parties are moving ahead. We've hired Peter Craig to write the script."
"Top Gun" became the highest-grossing film in the year it was released back in 1986. The movie rocketed Tony's career and fame and made him one of Hollywood's A-list action filmmakers of the era.
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory