Jared Leto Back to Acting by Playing AIDS Patient in 'Dallas Buyer's Club'
30 Seconds to Mars' frontman Jared Leto is set to return to the big screen industry. The "Requiem for a Dream" actor has joined an AIDS drama called "The Dallas Buyer's Club", so it's announced on Tuesday, November 6 during the American Film Market 2012 event.
Leto will star opposite Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner. The former fiance of Cameron Diaz is tapped to tackle the part of a flamboyant cross-dresser that is also a fellow AIDS patient who meets McConaughey's character in the hospital. Before Leto gets cast, it was Gael Garcia Bernal who was courted for the role but his deal was never closed.
"The Dallas Buyer's Club" tells the true story of Ron Woodroof (McConaughey), a heterosexual man who was diagnosed with AIDS in 1986. Given only a few months to live, Woodroof began to smuggle alternative and illegal treatments into the U.S. and into the hands of other AIDS patients.
Jean Marc Vallee serves behind the lens with Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack teaming up to pen the script. The project is scheduled to begin production next week in New Orleans. Back in August, McConaughey revealed a very drastic physical transformation for his role in this film. At the time, he was photographed looking extremely gaunt when stepping out solo in New York.
As for Jared Leto, this true-story movie will mark his first acting stint since 2009's "Mr. Nobody". He has recently been busy with his music works, though still managed to direct a 30 Seconds to Mars documentary "Artifact", which was premiered at TIFF 2012 and won the People's Choice Documentary prize at the event.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7