Jared Leto Back to Acting by Playing AIDS Patient in 'Dallas Buyer's Club'
30 Seconds to Mars' frontman Jared Leto is set to return to the big screen industry. The "Requiem for a Dream" actor has joined an AIDS drama called "The Dallas Buyer's Club", so it's announced on Tuesday, November 6 during the American Film Market 2012 event.
Leto will star opposite Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner. The former fiance of Cameron Diaz is tapped to tackle the part of a flamboyant cross-dresser that is also a fellow AIDS patient who meets McConaughey's character in the hospital. Before Leto gets cast, it was Gael Garcia Bernal who was courted for the role but his deal was never closed.
"The Dallas Buyer's Club" tells the true story of Ron Woodroof (McConaughey), a heterosexual man who was diagnosed with AIDS in 1986. Given only a few months to live, Woodroof began to smuggle alternative and illegal treatments into the U.S. and into the hands of other AIDS patients.
Jean Marc Vallee serves behind the lens with Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack teaming up to pen the script. The project is scheduled to begin production next week in New Orleans. Back in August, McConaughey revealed a very drastic physical transformation for his role in this film. At the time, he was photographed looking extremely gaunt when stepping out solo in New York.
As for Jared Leto, this true-story movie will mark his first acting stint since 2009's "Mr. Nobody". He has recently been busy with his music works, though still managed to direct a 30 Seconds to Mars documentary "Artifact", which was premiered at TIFF 2012 and won the People's Choice Documentary prize at the event.
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift