Brooke Shields' Mother Passed Away After Long Illness
Brooke Shields' mother Teri, who guided her acting career, has passed away at the age of 79. A spokesman for Brooke said late Monday, November 5 that Teri died last Wednesday, October 31 in Manhattan following a long illness related to dementia.
Teri pushed Brooke into entertainment business when her daughter was only 11 months old. The baby was paid $25 to pose for an Ivory Soap ad. Some later decisions made by Teri for Brooke were controversial. She allowed a photographer to take nude pictures of Brooke when she was 10. Brooke established her young sex bomb image when she starred in a Calvin Klein jeans ad in which she said, "Nothing comes between me and my Calvins."
Then Teri allowed Brooke to star as a young prostitute in 1978's "Pretty Baby" and acted in 1980 R-rated film "The Blue Lagoon". In defense of her mother's decision, Brooke said, "It's only a role. ...I'm not going to grow up and be a prostitute."
However, Teri and Brooke's relationship did not always go smoothly. Brooke said back in the 1990s, "I grew up in an alcoholic household." She fired her mother as manager later, allegedly because Teri did not approve her relationship with tennis pro Andre Agassi who later became her husband. However, the mother daughter reconciled in Teri's golden age.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance