J.J. Abrams Finally Admits Benedict Cumberbatch Is 'Star Trek 2' Villain
While people's attention has lately been drawn to the news surrounding the "Star Wars Episode 7" project, a tiny scoop from rival franchise, "Star Trek", has recently made its round online. Director J.J. Abrams, who is notoriously known for being super secretive about his "Star Trek Into Darkness" project, has finally admitted that Benedict Cumberbatch would indeed play the major villain in the sequel.
Fans have been speculating for a long time that the "Sherlock" star would be the supervillain in "Star Trek 2". Abrams stayed tight-lipped about it as he always refused to confirm Cumberbatch's role. However, when he was once again asked by Yahoo! if the British thesp would be the villain in the sequel, Abrams finally answered, "Uh huh," confirming the report for the very first time.
That's, however, the only word that came out from Abrams' lips as he insisted not to reveal what's the exact character Cumberbatch would tackle. The "Super 8" helmer was more interested in discussing the production progress of the highly-anticipated sci-fi movie. He said that the film "comes out next May, and we're just editing now."
"It is obvioiusly a little to early to be talking specifically about the movie, but we're editing the film now," he continued carefully. "It has been a blast working with the same cast, and some new amazing actors, including Benedict Cumberbatch, who is this British actor who is mind-blowing great, and we are putting the movie together now."
Abrams has been infamously known for always being uber secretive with the project. Last month, he shocked Conan O'Brien after promising to reveal a first ever clip for the movie on "CONAN". After giving a warning that the footage was not "longer than three frames," Abrams played the "clip" which apparently lasted for less than two seconds. He then gave a hint that the blink-and-you-miss-it footage saw Spock (Zachary Quinto) "in a volcano, in a crazy suit."
As for Cumberbatch's mysterious role, it was previously rumored that the "War Horse" actor would star as Khan, but Simon Pegg later denied the report. Back in July, Karl Urban allegedly revealed that Gary Mitchell would be the antagonist, but writer Damon Lindelof dismissed the report quickly after that.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" is set for a May 17, 2013 release Stateside.
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns