'Downton Abbey' Could Feature Indian Character
Amidst the outpouring positive reviews it has got, "Downton Abbey" has also been criticized for not having black characters. Responding to the issue, creator Julian Fellowes says he would love to feature multiculturalism on the show.
The British writer admits it will be "rather nice to open it up ethnically a bit," calling it "rather a good idea." He further points out, "You have to work it in in a way that is historically believable, but I am sure we could do that. [The show] certainly ought to have an Indian character from that period."
While Fellowes is open to the idea of featuring characters from ethnic backgrounds, he needs to wait a greenlight from ITV for a fourth season of the Emmy-winning series before he starts working on the script. "I would hope [there will be more] because of the response to this series, but you know [ITV] are always pretty close to their chest in terms of an actual commission," he gushes. "But I think I'd be surprised if there was not a fourth series."
In U.K., "Downton Abbey" has just wrapped up its third season with the season finale introducing a new character, Lady Rose. "I am pleased with this series," Fellowes says of the third season. "I thought it worked well."
He goes on talking about the 1920s set, "I think it is an interesting time, that funny time after the Great War when people didn't quite know how much everything had gone back to the way it was before or how much it had changed. They were sort of feeling their way towards the realization at the end of the 20s that things had changed enormously. It is a funny sort of insecure period and it is not one that is much done."
"Downton Abbey" will reportedly return for a Christmas Special across the pond, while the third installment will premiere in the U.S. in early 2013 on PBS.
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell
- Blac Chyna Blasts Tyga on Snapchat for Not Paying Her Child Support
- Watch Teaser of 'War of the Planet of the Apes' New Trailer
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill