NBC's Hurricane Sandy Telethon Raised $23 Million
Christina Aguilera, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Mary J. Blige and the other artists who supported NBC's "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" telethon, managed to raise nearly $23 million in a single night. The money will be donated to The American Red Cross in aid of the storm's victims in the East Coast.
Red Cross and NBCUniversal announced on Saturday, November 3, a day after the benefit concert, "We are incredibly grateful and humbled by this outpouring of support for those who are suffering as a result of Superstorm Sandy. Our preliminary results of nearly $23 million raised are an extraordinary example of how the American people pull together in times of disaster. Their generous donations will go directly to those in need, and we urge the public to continue to give. We also thank the dedicated and talented team at NBCUniversal for the millions of people they have helped through this telethon."
Donations were made by visiting RedCross.org, calling 1-800-RED-CROSS or texting REDCROSS to 90999. The concert was broadcast live from New York studios of NBC at 30 Rockefeller Plaza across all NBCU networks such as NBC, Bravo, CNBC, E!, G4, MSNBC, and Syfy.
Beside performances, the telethon also featured appearances from Tina Fey, Kevin Bacon and Whoopi Goldberg among others. Springsteen, Steven Tyler, Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon did a special joint performance of "Under the Boardwalk".
More Christina Aguilera News
- Jaden and Willow Smith Want to Retire in 10 Years
- Nick Young Wants Chris Brown Out of Their Neighborhood: 'You're Making the Block Hot'
- New 'Jumanji' Film Adds Karen Gillan in Major Role
- Black Eyed Peas Remakes 'Where Is the Love' With Usher, Jaden Smith and More for Charity
- Emma Roberts Goes Topless for Mario Testino's Towel Series Shot
- Hot Mama! Bar Refaeli Flaunts Her Bikini Body Just Three Weeks After Giving Birth
- ABC Reveals Nick Viall as the Next Bachelor and Spoils the Result of His 'Paradise' Stint
- New 'Doctor Strange' Featurette Offers New Details About Ancient One, Mordo and Kaecilius