CMA Awards 2012: Blake Shelton Leads Full Winner List, Wins Entertainer of the Year
The 46th annual celebration of country music's biggest night was dominated by Blake Shelton. After picking up Song of the Year with his wife and accepting Male Vocalist of the Year, he won his third award of the evening at the very end of the show. He grabbed the top prize, Entertainer of the Year which was won by Taylor Swift last year.
Blake beat Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney and the 2011 winner Taylor. He accepted the coveted title from Reba McEntire and Tim Allen after Lady Antebellum, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw paid tribute to Willie Nelson.
"I don't know how this happened. I freakin' love it," Blake gushed on the stage of 2012 Country Music Association Awards. "I try to represent country music as best I can with everything I do. It's television, it's touring, it's a lot of things. I love country music more than anybody in this room."
When winning Male Vocalist of the Year earlier in the evening, he admitted, "I've had a couple of drinks since song of the year." Although he got the prize in the past two years, this year's win still caught him off guard. "I thought it was going to be Jason or Eric, so I'm gonna wing it," he said. "I know I have a side job but country music is what I do."
His domination was followed by his wife Miranda Lambert and Little Big Town with two gongs each. Miranda won Female Vocalist of the Year, in addition to sharing Song of the Year with her husband. It marked the married couple's third year of winning the Male and Female Vocalists. Little Big Town, meanwhile, got Single of the Year and Group Vocal of the Year.
Miranda cried when Blake delivered his speech for Song of the Year. In her second win, she said, "I can't believe that I'm standing up here holding this right now. But I'm going to try to represent for all of the females that want to be up-and-comers and that want to just get their country voice out there, because there's room for all of us girls."
Karen Fairchild celebrated Little Big Town's double victory as saying, "We're living proof that if you work really really hard and you chase your dream, all the good stuff happens, and it follows you. Nashville, you've made us your band. Thank you for letting us do this...Thank you, Capitol Records and Jesus, and our mommas and daddies and Jesus, and our babies and Jesus."
- Entertainer of the Year: Blake Shelton
- Song of the Year: "Over You" - Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert
- Single of the Year: "Pontoon" - Little Big Town
- Album of the Year: "Chief" - Eric Church
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Blake Shelton
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
- Vocal Duo of the Year: Thompson Square
- Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
- Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally
- New Artist of the Year: Hunter Hayes
- Musical Event of the Year: "Feel Like a Rock Star"- Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw
- Music Video of the Year: "Red Solo Cup" - Toby Keith
- New Couple Alert! Anwar Hadid Is Dating Nicola Peltz
- Chrissy Teigen Blasts Paparazzi on Twitter After She and John Legend Were Called 'Monkeys'
- Arcade Fire Responds to Trump's Inauguration in 'I Give You Power' Ft. Mavis Staples
- Louis Tomlinson and Danielle Campbell Break Up Weeks After His Mom's Death
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Files for Divorce From Wife of 22 Years, Sara Kapfer
- First Look at Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange on Ryan Murphy's 'Feud'
- George and Amal Clooney Are 'Having a Blast Coming Up With Baby Names'
- Topless Ariel Winter Shows Off Breast Reduction Scars in New Unretouched Pics