Britney Spears' Parents Win Defamation Trial Against Sam Lutfi
Judge has ended a trial against Britney Spears' parents in their favor. On Thursday, November 1, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bruguera dismissed the case that was filed by the pop star's ex-manager Sam Lutfi, stating that there wasn't sufficient evidence to support his claims and to send the case to jury.
Lynne and Jamie Spears, who were accused by Sam of breach of contract, libel and defamation, filed a motion on Wednesday, asking the judge to toss Sam's battery and breach-of-contract claims. "I really thought long and hard. So the motions are granted...as to all the defendants and all the causes of action," Judge Suzanne said when announcing her decision. "That is the right thing to do, so I am going to do it."
In his lawsuit, Sam claimed he was owed a 15 percent share of Britney's earnings, but he couldn't prove on trial that he had a legal contract with Britney. He also accused Britney's father of hitting him in an incident in 2008, days leading up to her hospitalization at Cedars-Sinai on a 5150 emergency psychiatric hold. In his clients' defense, Lynne and Jamie's attorney Michael Aiken said Sam "wasn't hurt" and "was fine."
Sam also admitted in court that felt "depressed, anxious and suicidal" after Lynne published a book that portrayed him as a master of manipulation. He denied all allegations made by Britney's parents that suggested he drugged the singer and blocked her from them and the outside world.
After the judge announced the ruling, Sam simply said to reporters while leaving the courtroom, "I am going to appeal." Attorneys for both parties, however, haven't made a statement.
More Britney Spears News
- Team Arrow Is on Break After Season Finale. What Will Bring Them Back Together?
- First Man Born on Mars Finds Love on Earth in First 'Space Between Us' Trailer
- Harry Styles Looks Handsome With His New Haircut. See His Clean-Cut Look!
- At Least Four People Shot During T.I.'s Concert in NY
- 'The Americans' to End After Two More Seasons
- Rihanna Launches 'Star Trek'-Inspired Eyewear With Dior. See the Futuristic Design!
- The Weeknd Cancels Performance on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' Because of Donald Trump
- Kanye West Plays Matchmaker for Exes Khloe Kardashian and French Montana