Britney Spears' Parents Win Defamation Trial Against Sam Lutfi
Judge has ended a trial against Britney Spears' parents in their favor. On Thursday, November 1, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bruguera dismissed the case that was filed by the pop star's ex-manager Sam Lutfi, stating that there wasn't sufficient evidence to support his claims and to send the case to jury.
Lynne and Jamie Spears, who were accused by Sam of breach of contract, libel and defamation, filed a motion on Wednesday, asking the judge to toss Sam's battery and breach-of-contract claims. "I really thought long and hard. So the motions are granted...as to all the defendants and all the causes of action," Judge Suzanne said when announcing her decision. "That is the right thing to do, so I am going to do it."
In his lawsuit, Sam claimed he was owed a 15 percent share of Britney's earnings, but he couldn't prove on trial that he had a legal contract with Britney. He also accused Britney's father of hitting him in an incident in 2008, days leading up to her hospitalization at Cedars-Sinai on a 5150 emergency psychiatric hold. In his clients' defense, Lynne and Jamie's attorney Michael Aiken said Sam "wasn't hurt" and "was fine."
Sam also admitted in court that felt "depressed, anxious and suicidal" after Lynne published a book that portrayed him as a master of manipulation. He denied all allegations made by Britney's parents that suggested he drugged the singer and blocked her from them and the outside world.
After the judge announced the ruling, Sam simply said to reporters while leaving the courtroom, "I am going to appeal." Attorneys for both parties, however, haven't made a statement.
More Britney Spears News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group