Britney Spears' Parents Win Defamation Trial Against Sam Lutfi
Judge has ended a trial against Britney Spears' parents in their favor. On Thursday, November 1, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bruguera dismissed the case that was filed by the pop star's ex-manager Sam Lutfi, stating that there wasn't sufficient evidence to support his claims and to send the case to jury.
Lynne and Jamie Spears, who were accused by Sam of breach of contract, libel and defamation, filed a motion on Wednesday, asking the judge to toss Sam's battery and breach-of-contract claims. "I really thought long and hard. So the motions are granted...as to all the defendants and all the causes of action," Judge Suzanne said when announcing her decision. "That is the right thing to do, so I am going to do it."
In his lawsuit, Sam claimed he was owed a 15 percent share of Britney's earnings, but he couldn't prove on trial that he had a legal contract with Britney. He also accused Britney's father of hitting him in an incident in 2008, days leading up to her hospitalization at Cedars-Sinai on a 5150 emergency psychiatric hold. In his clients' defense, Lynne and Jamie's attorney Michael Aiken said Sam "wasn't hurt" and "was fine."
Sam also admitted in court that felt "depressed, anxious and suicidal" after Lynne published a book that portrayed him as a master of manipulation. He denied all allegations made by Britney's parents that suggested he drugged the singer and blocked her from them and the outside world.
After the judge announced the ruling, Sam simply said to reporters while leaving the courtroom, "I am going to appeal." Attorneys for both parties, however, haven't made a statement.
More Britney Spears News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences