Britney Spears' Parents Win Defamation Trial Against Sam Lutfi
Judge has ended a trial against Britney Spears' parents in their favor. On Thursday, November 1, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bruguera dismissed the case that was filed by the pop star's ex-manager Sam Lutfi, stating that there wasn't sufficient evidence to support his claims and to send the case to jury.
Lynne and Jamie Spears, who were accused by Sam of breach of contract, libel and defamation, filed a motion on Wednesday, asking the judge to toss Sam's battery and breach-of-contract claims. "I really thought long and hard. So the motions are granted...as to all the defendants and all the causes of action," Judge Suzanne said when announcing her decision. "That is the right thing to do, so I am going to do it."
In his lawsuit, Sam claimed he was owed a 15 percent share of Britney's earnings, but he couldn't prove on trial that he had a legal contract with Britney. He also accused Britney's father of hitting him in an incident in 2008, days leading up to her hospitalization at Cedars-Sinai on a 5150 emergency psychiatric hold. In his clients' defense, Lynne and Jamie's attorney Michael Aiken said Sam "wasn't hurt" and "was fine."
Sam also admitted in court that felt "depressed, anxious and suicidal" after Lynne published a book that portrayed him as a master of manipulation. He denied all allegations made by Britney's parents that suggested he drugged the singer and blocked her from them and the outside world.
After the judge announced the ruling, Sam simply said to reporters while leaving the courtroom, "I am going to appeal." Attorneys for both parties, however, haven't made a statement.
More Britney Spears News
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones