Armie Hammer Compares His 'Lone Ranger' Role to 'The Dark Knight'
Armie Hammer states that his take on "The Lone Ranger" is pretty much like Batman in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" trilogy. Promising that the Gore Verbinski-directed movie will be more complex than the original 1950s TV series, Hammer claims that his titular character is very similar to the Gotham hero, who was recently made popular by Christian Bale.
"Our take is darker and more complex, more action packed and more badass than the old TV show," he tells Empire magazine. "It's a 21st century version of the character, you know. There's a little of The Dark Knight in him."
Hammer goes on dishing, "There's less moral ambiguity, but there are definite similarities. They're both vigilantes who fell they have to wear a mask to serve justice because the people who are supposed to be doing it aren't."
"The Lone Ranger" follows Native American spirit warrior Tonto (Johnny Depp) who recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid (Hammer), a man of the law, into a legend of justice. The two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption.
Of Lone Ranger's bromance with Tonto, Hammer says, "It's an odd couple relationship, a lawman, an attorney who comes back to the West where he grew up, hoping to bring justice with him. He meets this wise Commanche who knows that, out West, you make your own justice.'
The big-budget Western movie will grace cinemas across the U.S. on July 3, 2013. Tom Wilkinson, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, James Frain, James Badge Dale and William Fichtner are joining Hammer and Depp in the casting department.
- Kristen Stewart Racing Through L.A. in Rolling Stones' 'Ride 'Em on Down' Video
- Anderson Cooper Was Once Set Up With Andy Cohen, but Turned It Down
- Justin Bieber Spotted Reuniting, Holding Hands With Hailey Baldwin in Los Angeles
- Kid Cudi Teams Up With Travis Scott for 'Baptized in Fire', Reveals the Release Date of New Album
- Michael Fassbender Engages in Epic Carriage Chase in Extended 'Assassin's Creed' Clip
- J. Cole to Release New Album '4 Your Eyez Only'
- Andrew Garfield Wouldn't Mind Being Stranded on Desert Island With Emma Stone
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Famous Derriere in Racy Fishnet Tights