Report: Jessica Brown Findlay Is Frontrunner for 'Captain America 2' Leading Lady
Who is the lucky actress that's going to tackle the female lead role in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? A number of movie beauties had previously been rumored to be in the running for the part, but it is now reported that "Downton Abbey" star Jessica Brown Findlay has become the real frontrunner.
Per U.K.'s Daily Express, the actress playing Lady Sybil Branson on the British period drama series is poised to portray the new love interest of Steve Rogers in the "Captain America: The First Avenger" sequel. The 23-year-old star is likely available for "Winter Soldier" after her "Downton" character [SPOILER ALERT!] died in childbirth during a recent episode of the Emmy-winning series.
No official word has been made to clarify or confirm Findlay's casting report in "Captain America 2". Should the actress really snatch the coveted role, she defeats other contenders such as Emilia Clarke, Alison Brie, Teresa Palmer and Imogen Poots. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was recently also said to be considered for the part.
Though Marvel hasn't said anything about the casting, those actresses were reportedly testing for the part of Rogers' leading lady. In the first movie, his girlfriend was Peggy Carter who was played by British actress Hayley Atwell. In the comic books, Peggy's sister (who was later retconned to be her niece) Sharon Carter was also described as Steve's occasional love interest.
"Captain America 2" will bring back Chris Evans as the titular superhero. Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie are the other confirmed actors for the film, which is slated for a April 4, 2014 release in the United States. The sequel will begin filming in spring 2013 in Cleveland.
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary