Report: Jessica Brown Findlay Is Frontrunner for 'Captain America 2' Leading Lady
Who is the lucky actress that's going to tackle the female lead role in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? A number of movie beauties had previously been rumored to be in the running for the part, but it is now reported that "Downton Abbey" star Jessica Brown Findlay has become the real frontrunner.
Per U.K.'s Daily Express, the actress playing Lady Sybil Branson on the British period drama series is poised to portray the new love interest of Steve Rogers in the "Captain America: The First Avenger" sequel. The 23-year-old star is likely available for "Winter Soldier" after her "Downton" character [SPOILER ALERT!] died in childbirth during a recent episode of the Emmy-winning series.
No official word has been made to clarify or confirm Findlay's casting report in "Captain America 2". Should the actress really snatch the coveted role, she defeats other contenders such as Emilia Clarke, Alison Brie, Teresa Palmer and Imogen Poots. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was recently also said to be considered for the part.
Though Marvel hasn't said anything about the casting, those actresses were reportedly testing for the part of Rogers' leading lady. In the first movie, his girlfriend was Peggy Carter who was played by British actress Hayley Atwell. In the comic books, Peggy's sister (who was later retconned to be her niece) Sharon Carter was also described as Steve's occasional love interest.
"Captain America 2" will bring back Chris Evans as the titular superhero. Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie are the other confirmed actors for the film, which is slated for a April 4, 2014 release in the United States. The sequel will begin filming in spring 2013 in Cleveland.
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date
- Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck '100 Percent Still Separated' Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Miranda Lambert's Rep Shoots Down Pregnancy Rumors
- Watch Star-Studded Performance of 'What the World Needs Now Is Love' at DNC
- 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Brings Out the Poetic World
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Accuses Her Husband of Cheating While Tearfully Talking About Divorce
- Beyonce Is Reported to Perform at 2016 MTV VMAs
- George and Amal Clooney Are Reportedly Expecting First Child