'Argo' Tops Box Office on Slow Weekend, Beats Four Newcomers
Moving on to its third week, "Argo" climbs to the top spot of North American box office and knocks down four newcomers at a time. The latest directorial effort from Ben Affleck claims victory with $12 million from 2,855 screens. So far, the movie collects a total domestic gross of $60.7 million.
*Securing the runner-up spot is Adam Sandler and Selena Gomez-starring animation "Hotel Transylvania". Still performing strong on its fifth weekend, the former chart topper takes in $9.4 million for a total gross of $130.4 milliion domestically.
The bad news this week comes from Warner Bros. Pictures' mega-budget movie "Cloud Atlas". Costing $100 million to produce, the starry sci-fier debuts at number three with only $9.6 million from 2,008 screens. The result is far below Warners' $12 to $15 million expectation.
Starring the likes of Halle Berry and Tom Hanks, "Cloud Atlas" receives a "C+" CinemaScores and mixed reviews from critics. Though it doesn't perform well in the States, the ambitious project from the Wachowski siblings and Tom Tykwer is expected to gross more overseas. Warners' president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman says that the film overperforms in Canada so far.
Landing on the fourth and fifth places respectively are "Paranormal Activity 4" and "Taken 2". The former victor nabs $8.5 million for a total domestic gross of $42.6 million on its second weekend, while the "Taken" sequel bags $7.7 million for a total cume of $117.3 million on its fourth weekend.
*Newcomers "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D", "Fun Size" and "Chasing Mavericks" show disappointing results as they land on the sixth, tenth and thirteenth places respectively. The horror flick grosses $8 million, the teen comedy collects $4.1 million, while the surfer film bags $2.2 million on their debut weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 26-28:
- "Argo" - $12 million
- *"Cloud Atlas" - $9.6 million
- *"Hotel Transylvania" - $9.4million
- "Paranormal Activity 4" - $8.5 million
- *"Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" - $8 million
- *"Taken 2" - $7.7 million
- "Here Comes the Boom" - $5.2 million
- "Alex Cross" - $5.1 million
- "Sinister" - $4.9 million
- "Fun Size" - $4.1 million
*UPDATE (October 30, 2012 01:19 A.M. GMT): When the final figures came out on Monday, October 29, "Hotel Transylvania" dropped another slot to the third. Hence, it swapped place with "Cloud Atlas", which now secured the runner-up position on the chart. Meanwhile, "Taken 2" falls to the sixth place, trading place with "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" which now places fifth.
More Argo News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal