Rocker Gary Glitter Arrested Amid Child Sex Abuse Investigation
"Rock and Roll" singer Gary Glitter was identified as the man who was arrested by police in the investigation of late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile's child sex abuse case. The 68-year-old man was seen leaving his apartment in London without handcuffs, being escorted by a policeman to a vehicle.
"The man, from London, was arrested at approximately 0715 on suspicion of sexual offenses. The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'Savile and others'," a statement from the police read.
Savile and "others" have been the target of Operation Yewtree. It was alleged that Savile sexually abused young girls for decades. Around 300 victims later came forward with their stories, with some saying Glitter having sex with an underage girl in Savile's dressing room in BBC while Savile abused another girl.
Glitter is the first arrest made in connection with the Met's Savile abuse inquiry. It was claimed that bosses at the BBC knew about the allegations but kept quiet. BBC has expressed their disappointment in the scandal, saying on Sunday that the broadcaster's reputation was on the line. They promised to get to the bottom of the case.
Former BBC director Mark Thompson insisted that he did not know about the investigation. "Thompson has said the first time he had been made aware of claims that Savile had committed serious crimes and that some had taken place while the entertainer was working at the BBC was after he stepped down as director general," a statement on BBC's official site said.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake