Carly Rae Jepsen Is Honored With Billboard's Rising Star of 2012 Award
Carly Rae Jepsen is set to receive a prestigious honor from Billboard. The "Call Me Maybe" singing sensation has officially been named Billboard's Rising Star of 2012, thanks to the massive success of her viral hit throughout the year. The Canadian singer will receive the special award during the Billboard Women in Music event in New York this coming November 30.
"As a singer-songwriter having grown up listening to and being influenced by countless female artists, I am truly honored to be recognized by Billboard with this award," the "This Kiss" singer says in a statement. "I hope to inspire others through my music the way those artists have inspired me."
Jepsen follows the footsteps of Nicki Minaj, Jazmine Sullivan and Lady GaGa who were named the Rising Star by Billboard in 2011, 2010 and 2009 respectively. The first honoree for the award was Colbie Caillat in 2008.
Of why the magazine chooses Jepsen as its Rising Star, Billboard Editorial Director Bill Werde says, "Carly Rae Jepsen's infectious debut single has become nothing short of a pop culture phenomenon, leading to unprecedented viral fanfare." He adds, "Few artists have achieved this level of success this early in a career. We are thrilled to honor her extraordinary U.S. debut, and we look forward to seeing where she goes next."
Jepsen will join Katy Perry, who is named the Woman of the Year for the upcoming music event to take place at Capitale. The show itself is held to celebrate "powerful and talented women in the music business, oinciding with the publication of Billboard's Women in Music Power Players list." Former honorees included Taylor Swift, Stacy Ferguson a.k.a Fergie and Beyonce Knowles.
- Laura Prepon Expecting First Child With Ben Foster
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger