Carly Rae Jepsen Is Honored With Billboard's Rising Star of 2012 Award
Carly Rae Jepsen is set to receive a prestigious honor from Billboard. The "Call Me Maybe" singing sensation has officially been named Billboard's Rising Star of 2012, thanks to the massive success of her viral hit throughout the year. The Canadian singer will receive the special award during the Billboard Women in Music event in New York this coming November 30.
"As a singer-songwriter having grown up listening to and being influenced by countless female artists, I am truly honored to be recognized by Billboard with this award," the "This Kiss" singer says in a statement. "I hope to inspire others through my music the way those artists have inspired me."
Jepsen follows the footsteps of Nicki Minaj, Jazmine Sullivan and Lady GaGa who were named the Rising Star by Billboard in 2011, 2010 and 2009 respectively. The first honoree for the award was Colbie Caillat in 2008.
Of why the magazine chooses Jepsen as its Rising Star, Billboard Editorial Director Bill Werde says, "Carly Rae Jepsen's infectious debut single has become nothing short of a pop culture phenomenon, leading to unprecedented viral fanfare." He adds, "Few artists have achieved this level of success this early in a career. We are thrilled to honor her extraordinary U.S. debut, and we look forward to seeing where she goes next."
Jepsen will join Katy Perry, who is named the Woman of the Year for the upcoming music event to take place at Capitale. The show itself is held to celebrate "powerful and talented women in the music business, oinciding with the publication of Billboard's Women in Music Power Players list." Former honorees included Taylor Swift, Stacy Ferguson a.k.a Fergie and Beyonce Knowles.
- Lindsay Lohan Is Facing Bankruptcy After Failing to Pay Rent on $4.2M London Flat
- Kanye West Shares Emotional Throwback Video of Kim Kardashian on Her 36th Birthday
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'