Elizabeth Taylor Is Highest-Earning Dead Celebrity 2012
Turns out, Michael Jackson is not the highest-earning dead celebrity this year according to Forbes. "Cleopatra" star and Jackson's close friend Elizabeth Taylor, who died of heart failure last March, has earned $210 million in the past 12 months, beating Jackson who earned $145 million this year.
Taylor owed her earning to the record breaking Christie's auction in which her jewelry, costumes and art work went sky-high. As many as $184 million from her earning came from the auction while the rest came from her estate, perfume sale as well as royalty of her films. She earns even higher than highest-earning alive celebrity, Oprah Winfrey, who raked in $45 million less.
Jackson earned $90 million more than the celebrity at number three, Elvis Presley. The King of Rock and Roll rounded up $55 million, thanks to a whole show around his music in 2010, "Viva Elvis", at MGM's Aria casino in Las Vegas. Presley earned the same amount of money last year.
"Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz sits at number four with $37 million. His earning could get higher in the future as a movie based on the characters he created will be made into a movie. At number five is singer Bob Marley with $17 million. He has profited from Marley beverage company and House of Marley, the latter which sells merchandise related to him.
- Elizabeth Taylor: $210 million
- Michael Jackson: $145 million
- Elvis Presley: $55 million
- Charles Schulz: $37 million
- Bob Marley: $17 million
- John Lennon: $12 million
- Marilyn Monroe: $10 million
- Albert Einstein: $10 million
- Theodor Geisel: $9 million
- Steve McQueen: $8 million
- Bettie Page: $8 million
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards
- Demi Lovato Surprises Fans as Undercover Lyft Driver and Disses Selena Gomez
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'