Oprah Winfrey Develops Drama Series at HBO, Interviews Justin Bieber for 'Next Chapter'
While recruiting Tyler Perry to prepare the first scripted series for her network OWN, Oprah Winfrey is teaming up with HBO for another TV project. The former daytime talk-show queen's Harpo Films is developing a complex family drama for the premium cable.
The yet-to-be-titled project will revolve around "a wealthy academic who has become the first black president of a prestigious liberal arts college," according to The Hollywood Reporter. As he and his family are engaging in personal battles and struggling with dark obsessions, they are "thrust into national headlines, forcing them to present an idyllic public facade."
Thomas Bradshaw, who has worked on such plays as "The Bereaved", "Southern Promises", "Dawn" and "Job", will provide the script for the hour-long drama in addition to serving as a co-executive producer. Winfrey and Kate Forte will also executive produce the show.
The project is developed under Harpo's deal with HBO signed in 2008 which stated the production company would develop miniseries, movies, documentaries and scripted series for the premium cable channel. However, none of the pitched projects has gone on air on the network.
In another report, Winfrey has just sat down with Justin Bieber at Chicago's RL Restaurant for "one of the most in-depth interviews the singer has ever agreed to do," so OWN states. The 58-year-old host also got a backstage pass to his Believe concert at the All-State Arena in Rosemount, Illinois on Tuesday, October 24.
"Me and the Bieber just finished our interview. Good stuff! # NextChapter," so Winfrey wrote in a caption of an Instagram photo featuring her and the Canadian singer. The interview will air as a November 25 episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter".
- Mila Kunis Flaunts Baby Bump at 'Bad Moms' L.A. Premiere
- Aaron Rodgers Finally Addresses Brother Jordan's 'Bachelorette' Gig and Family Estrangement
- Lupita Nyong'o Reveals 'Black Panther' Plot Details
- JoJo's New Single 'F**k Apologies' Feat. Wiz Khalifa Surfaces Online
- Blac Chyna Shows Off Engagement Ring Amid Rob Kardashian Breakup Rumors
- 'The Bachelorette: Men Tell All': Luke Reveals His Biggest Regret, Nick Challenges Chad to a Fight
- Kim Zolciak and Her Daughter Brielle Sport Huge Pouts After Trip to Plastic Surgeon
- Mariah Carey Casually Throws Shade at the Kardashians. See What She Says