Mick Jagger Producing James Brown Biopic to Be Directed by 'The Help' Helmer
Mick Jagger is teaming up with acclaimed producer Brian Grazer to bring James Brown back to life in the big screen. The two are set to produce a biopic about the Godfother of Soul with "The Help" helmer Tate Taylor in talks to serve behind the lens, Deadline reports.
Jagger and Grazer are now looking for distribution and trying to find a right actor to play the late legendary musician. The screenplay will be provided by Jez Butterworth and John-Henry Butterworth, who recently wrote Doug Liman's "Fair Game".
Sharing his excitement that the project finally moves forward with Jagger, Taylor says that he's been hoping to make the James Brown biopic because he was "one of the most electric, exciting stage performers of all time." Jagger adds, "It's a great honor to be involved with a project as rich as the story of the legendary James Brown. He was a mesmerizing performer with a fascinating life."
The untitled James Brown biopic will follow Brown's story as a young boy who was raised with extreme poverty and violence and later became the Godfather of Soul. The project had been in development with Grazer even before Brown died in 2006.
Brown actively took part in the development of his biopic before he passed away. Now, his family promise that they will continue his work. "I am deeply honored that Mick Jagger and Brian Grazer, two of my husband James Brown's favorite people, have entered into a partnership to bring his inspirational story to the big screen," Brown's widow Tommie Rae Brown says.
His daughter Deanna Brown Thomas adds, "My father's music has been a beacon to people all over the world and now his life story will impact future generations and show Why he is respected as The Godfather of Soul, Mr. James Brown!"
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival