Frank Grillo Allegedly in the Running to Play Crossbones in 'Captain America 2'
Could "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" feature Crossbones as the supervillain? While the confirmed cast of the movie has yet to be announced, actor Frank Grillo hinted that he's indeed in the running to play the "badass" character in the upcoming sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger".
The "End of Watch" actor sparked the casting rumor as he tweeted on Monday, October 22, "See Ya LA. It was a a good trip. Marvel was a lot of fun. Be cool if it works out. #CaptainAmerica." He added in a following tweet, which has since been deleted, "WOW. Badass fans that Marvel has. Fierce muthas. #bones."
Grillo added fuel to previous speculation that he was actually testing to play Crossbones. Over the weekend, radio host Matthew Aaron spilled the beans as writing, "Once again, just wanted to tell you and I'll be talking about it all week... Frank Grillo has tested for Crossbone in the new Marvel movies."
Marvel Studios hasn't said anything to clarify the swirling report. For those who are unfamiliar with Crossbones, the supervillain, who is also known as Brock Rumlow, usually appears as a henchman of the Red Skull. Though he doesn't have any superhuman powers, Crossbones is known as the world's best hand-to-hand combatants. He's also the one who carries out the assassination of Captain America in Marvel comics.
"Captain America 2" will begin filming in spring 2013 in Cleveland. Plot details are still kept under very tight wraps, but the film is already scheduled to open wide in the U.S. on April 4, 2014. Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie are all confirmed to star in the much-awaited movie.
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Competition! Scarlett Johansson Develops a Zelda Fitzgerald Rival Project
- 'The Punisher' Announces 5 More New Cast Members
- Kristen Stewart Reunites With 'Twilight' Co-Stars at Women in Hollywood Awards
- Len Wiseman Files for Divorce From Kate Beckinsale
- Lady GaGa to Perform at 2016 American Music Awards
- Gilmore Girls at Major Crossroads in 'A Year in the Life' First Trailer
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early and Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Violent Season 7 Premiere