Gerard Butler Talked Rehab and Why He Entered
Gerard Butler has addressed his rehab experience, saying he was glad he did it. In the November issue of Men's journal, the "300" star also set the record straight that he did not enter the Betty Ford Center in February to battle alcohol addiction because he has been off the booze for more than a decade.
"Maybe a stronger person wouldn't have needed to go," the Scottish actor told the magazine. "When you hear the word rehab, you think, 'He's a mess, he's f**ked up.' But I'm glad I did it. I've made a s**tload of wrong decisions in my life. But I know I've made some right ones as well."
Regarding the three weeks he spent at the facility, Butler made it clear that he was treated for pain killer addiction not alcohol. "I haven't had a drink in 15 years," he said, adding the rumor "pissed [him] off".
The 42-year-old was injured while shooting a surfing scene for "Chasing Mavericks". He was hit by a wave and stayed underwater for almost a minute, leading to him having "visceral" flashbacks. But he actually had been taking painkillers since his injury on the set of his 2007 movie "Shattered". His back pain intensified when shooting 2010's "Coriolanus".
"I was actually taking a minimal amount [of pills] when I went in," he said. "It was more about becoming a mental warrior and not letting pain bother you. The [instructor] would say, 'I don't want to hear about your f**king MRIs or your f**king X-rays...Let's learn how to say to the pain, 'F**k you'." He admitted that rehab ripped him apart but like a "spring cleaning", he got rid of stuff and "make a plan".
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'