Gerard Butler Talked Rehab and Why He Entered
Gerard Butler has addressed his rehab experience, saying he was glad he did it. In the November issue of Men's journal, the "300" star also set the record straight that he did not enter the Betty Ford Center in February to battle alcohol addiction because he has been off the booze for more than a decade.
"Maybe a stronger person wouldn't have needed to go," the Scottish actor told the magazine. "When you hear the word rehab, you think, 'He's a mess, he's f**ked up.' But I'm glad I did it. I've made a s**tload of wrong decisions in my life. But I know I've made some right ones as well."
Regarding the three weeks he spent at the facility, Butler made it clear that he was treated for pain killer addiction not alcohol. "I haven't had a drink in 15 years," he said, adding the rumor "pissed [him] off".
The 42-year-old was injured while shooting a surfing scene for "Chasing Mavericks". He was hit by a wave and stayed underwater for almost a minute, leading to him having "visceral" flashbacks. But he actually had been taking painkillers since his injury on the set of his 2007 movie "Shattered". His back pain intensified when shooting 2010's "Coriolanus".
"I was actually taking a minimal amount [of pills] when I went in," he said. "It was more about becoming a mental warrior and not letting pain bother you. The [instructor] would say, 'I don't want to hear about your f**king MRIs or your f**king X-rays...Let's learn how to say to the pain, 'F**k you'." He admitted that rehab ripped him apart but like a "spring cleaning", he got rid of stuff and "make a plan".
More Gerard Butler News
- Victoria Beckham to Sing Again for 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden
- Tyga Spotted Shopping With Scott Disick Amidst Claims Rapper Is Bisexual
- Charo Threatens to Quit 'DWTS' Amid Complaints of Unfair Scores
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- 'Santa Clarita Diet' Scores Second Season Renewal on Netflix
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday