Sam Lutfi Details Britney Spears' Alleged Drug Abuse in Defamation Trial
Sam Lutfi defamation trial against Britney Spears' parents officially kicked off on Thursday, October 18 in Los Angeles, revealing the pop singer's alleged bleak past in the process. In a courtroom, Sam's lawyer Joseph Schleimer said the "Toxic" hitmaker's addiction to amphetamines and speed was the one that led to her life in "a complete shambles" during the year of 2007.
"My client was made a scapegoat for the drug abuse and erratic behavior of Britney Spears," Joseph said in his opening statement. "She liked to use amphetamines - speed or uppers. She liked to take that drug. And most of the things that went wrong were related to that drug."
Joseph went on claiming that his client wanted to help save Britney and clean her house of drugs, so he brought drug-sniffing dogs and found a substance that was probably crystal meth. Sam allegedly also tried to get Britney to meet a psychiatrist two days before she was placed on a 5150 hold in January 2008, but the singer refused.
"My client has never been paid for serving as her manager," Joseph said. "He was made famous as the guy who drugged Britney Spears and put her in the hospital. The evidence will show the defendants ruined my client's reputation." The lawyer added that Sam sometimes worked "24 hours a day."
Sam sued Jamie and Lynne Spears for breach of contract, battery, emotional distress, defamation and libel back in February 2009. The former manager of the Grammy-winning artist said he had an agreement to serve as her manager in exchange for 15% of her earnings.
Sam additionally alleged James of punching him in the stomach and accused Jamie of defamation for portraying him as a manipulator in her memoir.
Since her 2008 meltdown, Britney has been under conservatorship.
More Britney Spears News
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'