'Taken 2' Still Reigns Box Office, Bests Ben Affleck's 'Argo'
None of the newcomers can beat defending champion "Taken 2" on North American box office this weekend. The Liam Neeson-starring actioner stays atop the chart by grabbing an estimated $22.5 million for a total cume of $86.7 million after two weeks of playing Stateside.
Ben Affleck's highly-praised "Argo" and Ethan Hawke's horror "Sinister" debut on the second and third places respectively. The critics' darling drama bags around $20.1 million, while the mystery movie takes in approximately $18.2 million. The strong October result for the first three movies on the chart help boost box office revenues to a 58% gain over the same weekend last year.
"Argo", which receives a glowing "A-" CinemaScore, attracts to mostly audience over the age of 25 who make up 93% of the ticket buyers. Of the satisfying result, Warner Bros. Pictures' president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman says, "Good movies rise to the occasion. Both 'The Town' [also directed by Affleck] and 'Gran Torino' played older initially and then turned into four-quadrant movies."
"Sinister", on the other hand, receives a "C+" CinemaScore from the audience. The horror draws younger ticket buyers with 54% of them are males. "Whenever you overperform industry expectations, it's always a nice thing," Lionsgate/Summit executive president of distribution David Spitz comments on the movie's first week result.
Placing fourth is animated film "Hotel Transylvania" with around $17.3 million for a total domestic gross of $102.1 million in its third week. "Here Comes the Boom" rounds up the top five with around $12 million on its debut weekend. The action comedy receives an "A" CinemaScore and attracts 45% family audience.
Newcomer which can't make it to the top five is "Seven Psychopaths". The film can't exceed CBS Film's expectation as it only takes in around $4.2 million and lands on the ninth place. The result is quite disappointing since the movie becomes a favorite at some festivals with its starry cast ensemble.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 12-14:
- "Taken 2" - $22.5 million
- "Argo" - $20.1 million
- "Sinister" - $18.2 million
- "Hotel Transylvania" - $17.3 million
- "Here Comes the Boom" - $12 million
- "Pitch Perfect" - $9.3 million
- "Frankenweenie" - $7 million
- "Looper" - $6.3 million
- "Seven Psychopaths" - $4.2 million
- "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - $2.1 million
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week