'Taken 2' Still Reigns Box Office, Bests Ben Affleck's 'Argo'
None of the newcomers can beat defending champion "Taken 2" on North American box office this weekend. The Liam Neeson-starring actioner stays atop the chart by grabbing an estimated $22.5 million for a total cume of $86.7 million after two weeks of playing Stateside.
Ben Affleck's highly-praised "Argo" and Ethan Hawke's horror "Sinister" debut on the second and third places respectively. The critics' darling drama bags around $20.1 million, while the mystery movie takes in approximately $18.2 million. The strong October result for the first three movies on the chart help boost box office revenues to a 58% gain over the same weekend last year.
"Argo", which receives a glowing "A-" CinemaScore, attracts to mostly audience over the age of 25 who make up 93% of the ticket buyers. Of the satisfying result, Warner Bros. Pictures' president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman says, "Good movies rise to the occasion. Both 'The Town' [also directed by Affleck] and 'Gran Torino' played older initially and then turned into four-quadrant movies."
"Sinister", on the other hand, receives a "C+" CinemaScore from the audience. The horror draws younger ticket buyers with 54% of them are males. "Whenever you overperform industry expectations, it's always a nice thing," Lionsgate/Summit executive president of distribution David Spitz comments on the movie's first week result.
Placing fourth is animated film "Hotel Transylvania" with around $17.3 million for a total domestic gross of $102.1 million in its third week. "Here Comes the Boom" rounds up the top five with around $12 million on its debut weekend. The action comedy receives an "A" CinemaScore and attracts 45% family audience.
Newcomer which can't make it to the top five is "Seven Psychopaths". The film can't exceed CBS Film's expectation as it only takes in around $4.2 million and lands on the ninth place. The result is quite disappointing since the movie becomes a favorite at some festivals with its starry cast ensemble.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 12-14:
- "Taken 2" - $22.5 million
- "Argo" - $20.1 million
- "Sinister" - $18.2 million
- "Hotel Transylvania" - $17.3 million
- "Here Comes the Boom" - $12 million
- "Pitch Perfect" - $9.3 million
- "Frankenweenie" - $7 million
- "Looper" - $6.3 million
- "Seven Psychopaths" - $4.2 million
- "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - $2.1 million
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood