Steven Tyler's Lawyer Accused of Botching the Rocker's 'American Idol' Deal
Steven Tyler's judging stint on "American Idol" is already over, but his involvement on the singing competition show had caused a major lawsuit dispute between his lawyer and his former manager. On Thursday, October 11, management company Kovac Media Group filed the suit against attorney Dina LaPolt, accusing her of botching Tyler's "Idol" deal.
Kovac Media filed its $8 million lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court. Per The Hollywood Reporter, the company alleged LaPont of mishandling Tyler's contract negotiation and costing the Aerosmith frontman a $6 million to $8 million deal to return to the Fox talent show.
According to the complaint, Kovac Media believed that LaPolt was involved in Tyler's negotiation for a new "Idol" deal at the end of season 11, which marked the veteran rocker's second run as the judge for the show. Kovac claimed that LaPont ended up botching the negotiation so badly that the "Idol" producer eventually gave Tyler no raise, which later led to his departure from the show.
Though Kovac didn't mention Tyler by name in its complaint, the company suggested that LaPont also convinced the father of Liv Tyler to fire his former managers. She was also accused of convincing the musician to hold back a commission from an "Idol" severance payment. The managing company seeks interest, punitive and exemplary damages, legal fees and other costs from the case.
Tyler exited "Idol" along with Jennifer Lopez in the last season. They were replaced with new judges Mariah Carey, Keith Urban and Nicki Minaj for the upcoming season 12.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic