Justin Bieber Is Cousin of Avril Lavigne, Ryan Gosling and Celine Dion
No one knows that Justin Bieber is a relative of Avril Lavigne, Ryan Gosling and Celine Dion until Ancestry.com started tracing his family lineage last year. The four stars are linked to each other through some of Quebec's earliest settlers dating back 400 years ago.
According to a family tree provided by the site, Bieber and Gosling are 11th cousins once removed while Bieber and Lavigne are 12th cousins. They share common relatives Mathurin Roy and Marguerite Bire who were born in France in early 1600s and moved to Quebec after getting married in 1637.
Meanwhile, Bieber and Dion are 10th cousins three times removed. They are connected through Jacques Vezina and Marie Boisdon. Like Roy and Bire, they were born in France in the early 1600s and then moved to Quebec, the area which now has predominantly French-speaking population.
"The great thing about family history is that you never know what you're going to find," says Ancestry's researcher Michelle Ercanback. "It was a very pleasant surprise."
"Discoveries like this are rare, so the fact that some of Canada's top entertainment industry stars are all related is especially fascinating," genealogist Lesley Anderson adds. "There's something special about discovering a shared connection, and to be able to go so far back in history to do so is one of the most satisfying aspects of family history research."
More Justin Bieber News
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs