Justin Bieber Is Cousin of Avril Lavigne, Ryan Gosling and Celine Dion
No one knows that Justin Bieber is a relative of Avril Lavigne, Ryan Gosling and Celine Dion until Ancestry.com started tracing his family lineage last year. The four stars are linked to each other through some of Quebec's earliest settlers dating back 400 years ago.
According to a family tree provided by the site, Bieber and Gosling are 11th cousins once removed while Bieber and Lavigne are 12th cousins. They share common relatives Mathurin Roy and Marguerite Bire who were born in France in early 1600s and moved to Quebec after getting married in 1637.
Meanwhile, Bieber and Dion are 10th cousins three times removed. They are connected through Jacques Vezina and Marie Boisdon. Like Roy and Bire, they were born in France in the early 1600s and then moved to Quebec, the area which now has predominantly French-speaking population.
"The great thing about family history is that you never know what you're going to find," says Ancestry's researcher Michelle Ercanback. "It was a very pleasant surprise."
"Discoveries like this are rare, so the fact that some of Canada's top entertainment industry stars are all related is especially fascinating," genealogist Lesley Anderson adds. "There's something special about discovering a shared connection, and to be able to go so far back in history to do so is one of the most satisfying aspects of family history research."
More Justin Bieber News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'