Video: 50 Cent, Fat Joe and Missy Elliott Honor Chris Lighty at 2012 BET Hip-Hop Awards
2012 BET Hip-Hop Awards was glittered with a lot of big stars. One of the highlights was a star-studded performance to pay tribute to Chris Lighty, the late former manager of Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Mobb Deep, Missy Elliott and LL Cool J.
LL Cool J opened up the in-memoriam segment with a heartfelt video message. The somber tone was turned into a celebration of Chris' life and legacy when Q-Tip and Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest charged into the stage and delivered their 1993 hit "Award Tour".
"If it wasn't for Chris, then you wouldn't hear music like this," Tip shouted before retreating to the back and giving the spotlight to Busta. The rapper kept the crowd going with "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" while pictures of the late Hip-Hop mogul were flashed on the screen.
The tribute was far from over as Fat Joe came out pumping up the crowd with his equally uplifting song "Lean Back". Once he was done spitting his verses, Missy Elliott, showed up in her red "V" outfit to refer to Chris' Violator Management. She rocked the stage with "Get Ur Freak On".
Fiddy took the stage last, setting aside his difference with his longtime rival Fat Joe in honor of their ex-manager. The G-Unit rapper closed the star-packed segment with "I Get Money". He later tweeted, "Me and @Fatjoe did something that never happens in hip hop at the BET awards.SMSaudio."
"I have anger issues @Fatjoe has a lot of pride. We have money, we have influence. This combination could bring out the body bags. SmSaudio," he continued. "We let it go for CHRIS we made a moment,but no one calls for cease fire with out respecting there opponent. It's mutual, as for the boy."
Joe himself said in a radio interview after the performance, "While we were there, 50 whispered some things in my ear that was gentleman-like. He just said the right things and a handshake was involved and that was that. It was two grown men that just said, 'This is for Chris Lighty, this is for hip-hop, let's move on with our lives.'
More 50 Cent News
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip
- Katie Holmes Looks Gloomy Amid Rumor She Gets 'Dumped' by Jamie Foxx
- New 'Game of Thrones' Set Video Captures the Monumental Meeting
- Jay-Z to Host Clinton Concert Aimed at Young Black Voters in Ohio
- Here's the First Look at Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock on 'Ocean's Eight' Set
- Lady GaGa Annoyed by Traffic in 'Carpool Karaoke'. Get the Sneak Peek!
- Ryan Lochte Celebrates His Dog's 8th Birthday for Three Consecutive Years