ABC Family Cancels 'Secret Life of the American Teenager' After Five Seasons
The current fifth season of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" will be the last for the show. ABC Family announces that it has decided to pull the plug on the teen drama series, which was created by Brenda Hampton ("7th Heaven").
Seemingly reacting to the cancellation, Daren Kagasoff who plays Ricky wrote on his Twitter, "It is what it is," after Hampton informed the cast members of the news. The show, which has been on hiatus since late August, will air a holiday-themed episode in November before returning with the last 12 episodes in March 2013.
Premiering in 2008, "The Secret Life" was a breakout hit for ABC Family as it generated an average of 3.51 million viewers in its first season. The ratings grew during the third installment, but dropped to an average of 2.14 million viewers by the end of its fourth chapter.
"The Secret Life" helped its lead actress Shailene Woodley rise to fame. The Amy Juergens depicter nabbed a role opposite George Clooney in "The Descendants" during the show's run, earning critical acclaims and a Golden Globe nomination through her portrayal of Alexandra King in the 2011 movie.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media