ABC Family Cancels 'Secret Life of the American Teenager' After Five Seasons
The current fifth season of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" will be the last for the show. ABC Family announces that it has decided to pull the plug on the teen drama series, which was created by Brenda Hampton ("7th Heaven").
Seemingly reacting to the cancellation, Daren Kagasoff who plays Ricky wrote on his Twitter, "It is what it is," after Hampton informed the cast members of the news. The show, which has been on hiatus since late August, will air a holiday-themed episode in November before returning with the last 12 episodes in March 2013.
Premiering in 2008, "The Secret Life" was a breakout hit for ABC Family as it generated an average of 3.51 million viewers in its first season. The ratings grew during the third installment, but dropped to an average of 2.14 million viewers by the end of its fourth chapter.
"The Secret Life" helped its lead actress Shailene Woodley rise to fame. The Amy Juergens depicter nabbed a role opposite George Clooney in "The Descendants" during the show's run, earning critical acclaims and a Golden Globe nomination through her portrayal of Alexandra King in the 2011 movie.
- People's Choice Awards 2017: 'Outlander' Leads the Full TV Winner List
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Moving In With Kate Hudson Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- People's Choice Awards 2017: 'Finding Dory' Leads Movie Winners
- Janelle Monae and Maxwell Are Set to Perform at Women's March
- Nicole Kidman Reportedly Expecting a Baby at 49
- Julia Roberts Joins 'Smurfs: The Lost Village'. Get the First Look!
- Ryan Lochte Unveils Baby's Sex, Dishes on Wedding Plans With Fiancee Kayla Rae Reid
- Road to Reconciliation? Kris and Caitlyn Jenner Are Reportedly in Joint Therapy