ABC Family Cancels 'Secret Life of the American Teenager' After Five Seasons
The current fifth season of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" will be the last for the show. ABC Family announces that it has decided to pull the plug on the teen drama series, which was created by Brenda Hampton ("7th Heaven").
Seemingly reacting to the cancellation, Daren Kagasoff who plays Ricky wrote on his Twitter, "It is what it is," after Hampton informed the cast members of the news. The show, which has been on hiatus since late August, will air a holiday-themed episode in November before returning with the last 12 episodes in March 2013.
Premiering in 2008, "The Secret Life" was a breakout hit for ABC Family as it generated an average of 3.51 million viewers in its first season. The ratings grew during the third installment, but dropped to an average of 2.14 million viewers by the end of its fourth chapter.
"The Secret Life" helped its lead actress Shailene Woodley rise to fame. The Amy Juergens depicter nabbed a role opposite George Clooney in "The Descendants" during the show's run, earning critical acclaims and a Golden Globe nomination through her portrayal of Alexandra King in the 2011 movie.
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future
- Taron Egerton Is Seen Filming 'Robin Hood: Origins' in Croatia
- Possible 'Jurassic World 2' Plot Details Revealed
- 'Sherlock' Could Get Axed, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's Busy Schedules Are to Blame