ABC Family Cancels 'Secret Life of the American Teenager' After Five Seasons
The current fifth season of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" will be the last for the show. ABC Family announces that it has decided to pull the plug on the teen drama series, which was created by Brenda Hampton ("7th Heaven").
Seemingly reacting to the cancellation, Daren Kagasoff who plays Ricky wrote on his Twitter, "It is what it is," after Hampton informed the cast members of the news. The show, which has been on hiatus since late August, will air a holiday-themed episode in November before returning with the last 12 episodes in March 2013.
Premiering in 2008, "The Secret Life" was a breakout hit for ABC Family as it generated an average of 3.51 million viewers in its first season. The ratings grew during the third installment, but dropped to an average of 2.14 million viewers by the end of its fourth chapter.
"The Secret Life" helped its lead actress Shailene Woodley rise to fame. The Amy Juergens depicter nabbed a role opposite George Clooney in "The Descendants" during the show's run, earning critical acclaims and a Golden Globe nomination through her portrayal of Alexandra King in the 2011 movie.
- Nicki Minaj Has Her Eyes on 'Sexy' Nick Cannon Amid Mariah Carey Diss
- Zayn Malik Terrified About Harry Styles' Solo Album: 'He's Going to Steal My Thunder'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24 Week 2: And the First Eliminated Celebrity Is ...
- Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello Reignite Romance Rumors With Dreamy Cover of Ed Sheeran's 'Kiss'
- Pregnant Beyonce Is 'in Hiding': She's Ballooned So Much She Doesn't Want Her Fans to See!
- See Creepy Pennywise and The Losers Club in New 'It' Photos
- 'True Detective' Will Return for Season 3 With David Milch
- Abby Lee Miller Exits 'Dance Moms': 'I Have Been Manipulated, Disrespected and Used'