'Steel Magnolias' Remake to Air as Scheduled After Injunction Request Denied
"Steel Magnolias" remake will premiere on Lifetime this Sunday, October 7 despite the legal issue it currently faces. On Friday, October 5, a Los Angeles judge denied an injunction request from Victoria White, the executive producer of the original film, who was seeking a temporary restraining order to ban the TV movie from airing.
White filed the injunction request along with a lawsuit earlier this week, accusing the reboot's producer, Sony Pictures Television, Lifetime and the network's parent A&E Television Networks of breach of contract and breach of implied covenant. White's seeking for screen credits and financial compensation from the new adaptation.
In the suit which is still ongoing, White said she entered into an agreement with Rastar Productions, which produced the 1989 film and was later acquired by Sony Pictures. Under the agreement, she's entitled to financial reward "if the Motion Picture release was successful and derivative works based on the Motion Picture were ever produced for the television market."
White went on noting that there was a 1992 TV adaptation of the film and she was credited as a co-producer. However, the defendants claimed that her agreement was limited to the 1992 adaptation.
Lifetime's "Steel Magnolias" stars Queen Latifah, Jill Scott, Phylicia Rashad and Condola Rashad. Directed by Kenny Leon with the script penned by Sally Robinson, it chronicles the lives and friendship of six women in Louisiana who support each other through their triumphs and tragedies.
- Selena Gomez Has Lunch Date With The Weeknd After Celebrating Birthday Without Him
- Newlyweds Kate Mara and Jamie Bell Flaunt Wedding Rings in Cute Pic
- 'Game of Thrones' 7.03 Preview: Jon Snow Meets Daenerys
- Jay-Z Spends Second Week Atop Billboard 200 With '4:44', French Montana Debuts at No. 3
- Box Office: 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' Exceed Expectations, 'Valerian' Bombs
- Kylie Jenner's Snapchat Is Hacked, Culprit Threatens to Expose Nude Photos of 'KUWTK' Star
- Frank Ocean Brings Out Brad Pitt During Captivating Performance at FYF Festival
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park