'Iron Man 3' Writer Hired to 'Age Up' Script for 'Godzilla' Reboot
Legendary Pictures seems to be serious in making the "Godzilla" reboot much more realistic, as director Gareth Edwards has promised. The studio has hired "Iron Man 3" scribe Drew Pearce to rewrite the script for the remake film to make it more "age up."
Pearce reportedly is given four weeks to polish the screenplay before the casting process begins. The previous script was provided by David Goyer and Max Borenstein who penned it based on the original draft by David Callahan.
According to Variety, Legendary has some major problems with the previous script and the studio wants to "age up the characters so that they fit the prototype of the actors" that are likely to be approached for the remake film.
The studio recently announced that "Godzilla" will be released in the U.S. on May 16, 2014, the same day when Michael Bay-produced "Ninja Turtles" will open nationwide. Upon confirming the news, the studio claimed that the movie would "return the character [Godzilla] to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner."
Previously, director Edwards also stated that he would take the project "seriously." He said at this year's Comic-Con, "If this really happened, what would it be like? It's very grounded [and] realistic," before revealing surprisingly well-polished footage of the movie during the Legenary panel at the event.
As for screenwriter Drew Pearce, aside from working for Marvel's "Iron Man 3", the 37-year-old scribe has been locked to pen the screenplay for Robert Downey Jr.'s other film "Sherlock Holmes 3", which will bring back Guy Ritchie as the director.
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift