Mumford and Sons Score Biggest Debut of the Year, Beat Green Day and No Doubt
Mumford & Sons have a big debut on Billboard 200. Their second album "Babel" easily tops the chart as it sells 600,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The number marks the biggest debut this year, surpassing Justin Bieber's "Believe" which sold 374,000 copies in its first week.
420,000 of the albums sold were from digital downloads. It's the second-biggest digital sales week ever, placing behind Lady GaGa's "Born This Way" which sold 662,000 downloads in 2011.
In terms of overall sales weeks in 2012, the Marcus Mumford-fronted band's follow-up to "Sigh No More" is put one place behind Adele's "21". The "Someone Like You" hitmaker's sophomore set sold 730,000 copies in its 52nd week, thanks to the boost it received from the Grammys.
Two other rock bands, Green Day and No Doubt, enter the chart at the second and third place respectively. "Uno!" by Billie Joe Armstrong and co. sells 139,000 copies, while the Anaheim-originated group's "Push and Shove" moves 115,000 copies.
The entrance of three new releases pushes Pink's "The Truth About Love" to the fourth place after staying atop the chart last week. It sells another 94,000 copies, down 66%. Following it at No. 5 and 6 respectively are other new entries, Lupe Fiasco's "Food and Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1" (89,000) and Deadmau5's "Album Title Goes Here" (58,000).
The rest of the spots in the top 10 belong to holdovers. The G.O.O.D. Music "Cruel Summer" compilation presented by Kanye West falls from No. 2 to 7 with 55,000, Dave Matthews Band's "Away From the World" slips 4-8 with 36,000, Little Big Town's "Tornado" drops from No. 5 to No. 9 with 34,000, and The Killers' "Battle Born" steps down from No. 3 to 10 with 31,000.
- "Babel" - Mumford & Sons (374,000)
- "Uno!" - Green Day (139,000)
- "Push and Shove" - No Doubt (115,000)
- "The Truth About Love" - Pink (94,000 )
- "Food and Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1" - Lupe Fiasco (89,000)
- "Album Title Goes Here" - Deadmau5 (58,000)
- "Cruel Summer" - G.O.O.D. Music artists (55,000)
- "Away From the World" - Dave Matthews Band (36,000)
- "Tornado" - Little Big Town (34,000)
- "Battle Born" - The Killers (31,000)
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip