Anthony Hopkins' 'Hitchcock' Tapped as 2012 AFI Fest Opener
Anthony Hopkins' "Hitchcock" is set to hold its world premiere at a prestigious event. The biopic about legendary director Alfred Hitchcock has officially been chosen to be screened at the upcoming 2012 American Film Institute (AFI) Fest. It will also serve as the Opening Night Gala for the event on Thursday, November 1.
Upon announcing the news on Thursday, September 27, AFI President and CEO, Bob Gazzale, said, "AFI's history with Alfred Hitchcock is a proud one, from a Minister Seminar at the AFI Conservatory in 1970 to his receiving the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1979." He added, "We are honored to celebrate his lasting legacy with the World Premiere of HITCHCOCK - a bloody valentine to his creative genius and the inspired woman at his side."
In similar tone to Gazzale, AFI Fest Director, Jacqueline Lyanga, gushed that she's thrilled to have "Hitchcock" as the festival's opener. "Alfred Hitchcock's signature style has made him one of the most influential directors in the world," she said.
"This film pulls back the curtain and takes us behind-the-scenes of his lifelong collaboration with his wife Alma during the making of his 1960 masterpiece PSYCHO - it's the perfect film to welcome our audience of movie-lovers with on opening night."
Directed by Sacha Gervasi, "Hitchcock" has been stealing critics' and movie lovers' attention since it was first announced earlier this year. The film promises to tell the untold story of Hitchcock's struggles during the making of the 1960 film "Physco".
It will also follow the relationship between the famed director and his wife, editor and assistant director Alma Reville. She was Hitchcock's sounding board and constant collaborator for the fifty-four years of their marriage, and had a keen mind for dialogue and continuity.
In addition to Hopkins, who tackles the part of the titular filmmaker, the drama stars the likes of Helen Mirren, Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Biel, Michael Stuhlbarg, Toni Collette, Danny Huston and James D'Arcy. After being premiered at AFI Fest, it is scheduled to open in the U.S. theaters on November 23.
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why
- Drake Says His Heart's Broken by Rihanna as They Spark New Dating Rumor in London
- First Look at Matthew McConaughey as Man in Black on 'The Dark Tower' Set
- Fergie Debuts 'M.I.L.F. $'. Listen to the Empowering New Track!
- Nicki Minaj Goes Braless and Flashes Ample Boob in This Photo
- 'Pacific Rim 2' Gets New Release Date