John Travolta Wins in Court Battle Against Writer of Gay-Bathhouse Book
John Travolta, along with his attorney Marty Singer, comes out victorious in a legal proceeding against Robert Randolph, the author of a book about the actor's alleged homosexual activities in a spa. A defamation lawsuit filed against them is dismissed by the judge.
Randolph claimed Travolta and Singer made false statements about him. He accused them of dissuading the public from buying his book, "You'll Never Spa in This Town Again", by inducing people to believe that he was an unreliable source.
Randolph complained about Singer's letter sent to Gawker two years ago in response to an article called "The Secret Sex Life of John Travolta" which he contributed to. The lawyer claimed the writer "sustained 'permanent brain damage' and had to 'retrain' his brain."
In response to the lawsuit, Travolta and Singer fired off an anti-SLAPP motion which barred any lawsuits that violated certain First Amendment rights. In the latest hearing, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Malcolm Macky agreed that the letter was not subject to a libel claim.
Judge also pointed out that the plaintiff gave no proof to support his allegation. "Defendant Singer has amply established that he sent the 11/23/10 letter to Gawker Media in good faith and in serious consideration of litigation," the ruling read as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter. "As such, the letter is privileged."
- 'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy Shares Photo of 'Cult' Member. Is It Evan Peters?
- Secretly Married? Liam Payne Calls Cheryl His 'Wife' in New Interview
- Comic-Con: 'Ready Player One' First Footage Introduces Stepen Spielberg's VR Dystopia
- 'Psychopath' Sulli Gets Blasted for Biting Her Cat
- New Romance? Shirtless Justin Bieber Enjoys Romantic Hike With This Model
- Comic-Con: 'Westworld' Season 2 Trailer Is Violence Galore
- Pics: Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless, Parades Impressive Bum in Thong Bikini
- Song Joong Ki Reveals He Told Song Hye Kyo to Announce Their Wedding Due to Groundless Rumors