Matt Reeves Is Top Pick to Replace Rupert Wyatt as 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Helmer
The search for a new director for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has begun. 20th Century Fox has reportedly come up with a shortlist of filmmakers to replace Rupert Wyatt, who recently made a shocking decision to leave the big film franchise due to scheduling issue.
Deadline shares the words that "Cloverfield" helmer Matt Reeves is currently topping the shortlist. Also mentioned in the list are the likes of Guillermo del Toro ("Pacific Rim"), Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("28 Weeks Later..."), Jeff Nichols ("Take Shelter"), Juan Antonio Bayona ("The Impossible") and J. Blakeson ("The Disappearance of Alice Creed").
"Looper" director Rian Johnson was previously rumored to be eyed for the gig as well, but his representative denied the report. Words are, those candidates are expected to meet with Fox production president Emma Watts soon to see who is the best to shepherd the sequel to 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". The studio reportedly promises to give those directors "more creative leeway" should one of them join the franchise.
Last week, Rupert Wyatt abruptly decided to exit the "Apes" franchise because he didn't "feel comfortable" with Fox's decision to release the "Apes" sequel on May 23, 2014. The scheduling issue was similar to the reason why Gary Ross suddenly bowed out of Lionsgate Films' biggest franchise, "The Hunger Games", earlier this year.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver and Scott. Z. Burns providing the script that follows the story where Caesar and the other apes take over the world. Andy Serkis has been locked to bring the genius ape back to life once again.
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'
- 'Reign' Canceled by The CW After 4 Seasons
- It's Official! Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner Are Dating
- Are Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera Collaborating on New 'Glory' Remix?
- Sia Splits From Husband of Two Years, Erik Anders Lang
- Is Angelina Jolie Giving Brad Pitt a Second Chance?