Matt Reeves Is Top Pick to Replace Rupert Wyatt as 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Helmer
The search for a new director for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has begun. 20th Century Fox has reportedly come up with a shortlist of filmmakers to replace Rupert Wyatt, who recently made a shocking decision to leave the big film franchise due to scheduling issue.
Deadline shares the words that "Cloverfield" helmer Matt Reeves is currently topping the shortlist. Also mentioned in the list are the likes of Guillermo del Toro ("Pacific Rim"), Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("28 Weeks Later..."), Jeff Nichols ("Take Shelter"), Juan Antonio Bayona ("The Impossible") and J. Blakeson ("The Disappearance of Alice Creed").
"Looper" director Rian Johnson was previously rumored to be eyed for the gig as well, but his representative denied the report. Words are, those candidates are expected to meet with Fox production president Emma Watts soon to see who is the best to shepherd the sequel to 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". The studio reportedly promises to give those directors "more creative leeway" should one of them join the franchise.
Last week, Rupert Wyatt abruptly decided to exit the "Apes" franchise because he didn't "feel comfortable" with Fox's decision to release the "Apes" sequel on May 23, 2014. The scheduling issue was similar to the reason why Gary Ross suddenly bowed out of Lionsgate Films' biggest franchise, "The Hunger Games", earlier this year.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver and Scott. Z. Burns providing the script that follows the story where Caesar and the other apes take over the world. Andy Serkis has been locked to bring the genius ape back to life once again.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences