Katy Perry to Be Honored With Billboard's Woman of the Year Prize
Katy Perry is set to add another award to her resume. The Californian pop sensation will be honored with the Woman of the Year prize at this year's Billboard Women in Music event, which is set to take place in New York on Friday, November 30.
Of why Billboard picked the "E.T." songstress as the honoree, the magazine's editorial director Bill Werde says, "Katy Perry broke into the industry not even five years ago, and has already accomplished more than most artists can hope for in an entire career."
"We are thrilled to celebrate these incredible achievements and her amazing past 12 months by honoring her with the Billboard Woman of the Year Award," he adds. "With what seems like a never-ending supply of record-breaking, chart-topping hits, coupled with her unique and fresh style, Katy Perry is hands-down one of the most exciting and inspiring artists in the industry today."
Making her debut into the mainstream industry with saucy song "I Kissed a Girl" and hit album "One of the Boys", the songstress who loves to don candy-colored outfit continues to score records with her 2010 album "Teenage Dream". Selling 2.5 million copies in the U.S. only, the album became the first studio set by a female artist to notch five Hot 100 No. 1s.
Her other record-breaking achievements included nine No.1s on the Pop Songs chart, seven on the Adult Pop Songs chart, ten on Dance/Club Play Songs and an overall seven atop the Hot 100. Domestically, she has sold 48 million songs with hit songs like "Firework" and "California Gurls" being included in the top 30 downloads ever according to SoundScan.
The 7th annual Billboard Women in Music event will celebrate the most powerful and talented female artists in the industry. To take place at the Capitale, the event also coincides with the publication of Billboard's Women in Music Power Players list. Among previous honorees of the award were Taylor Swift, Stacy Ferguson a.k.a. Fergie, and Beyonce Knowles.
More Katy Perry News
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner