'How I Met Your Mother' Creator Dishes on the Girl With Yellow Umbrella
In "How I Met Your Mother" season 8 premiere, fans got a glimpse of the titular mother after Ted caught up with Klaus at Farhampton train station. In the scene set on a rainy night, Ted sat on the platform while a girl, his future bride, carried a yellow umbrella and a guitar, and stood a few feet away from him.
While the pair didn't talk in the episode, creator Craig Thomas confirmed to TV Guide that "the platform is where they're going to meet." As they're approaching this season as the last season before CBS gives a season 9 order, Thomas claimed, "We are really this close to getting there. Everything that happens in Season 8 will have significance and will be leading us toward that moment."
Thomas went on dishing that the girl's shoes and her guitar were some things that were intentionally used to give hints about her personality. "The shoes mean she's a little hip, a little quirky," he explained. "And she has a bass guitar. We know that she may be coming from having played some music. Ted said earlier in the series that he's always wanted to marry a lady who played bass. He's seeing his dream woman walk up on the steps to the train platform in the rain."
Asked when viewers would see Ted first talking to the girl, Thomas and co-creator Carter Bays refused to say, but teased that the moment was "a little further down the road." Thomas also wouldn't say if they had found the mother depicter, telling The Hollywood Reporter, "I don't want to say because ultimately when we do cast the actress who's the mother, it's going to have to be shrouded in secrecy, so if it already happened, we already did it, we don't want to say."
Should the series get a ninth season, Thomas revealed they "have a crazy plan to extend the show." He gushed, "If 'How I Met Your Mother' is renewed for Season 9, it will be via a very crazy plan, writing- and storytelling-wise," before adding, "The cool thing is, it doesn't feel like we have to tread water at all. I don't think the fans will feel like, 'Oh, they're just biding their time.' "
The showrunner also assured fans that if the show returns for another season, it will bring back all main cast members. "No, we would never, ever, ever [renew without all of the series regulars signed on]," he insisted. "It's a family, and we're finishing this thing together."
"HIMYM" season 8 airs every Monday at 8 P.M. on CBS.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen