Artist of the Week: PSY
PSY's popularity was rocketing within just two months following the release of "Gangnam Style" music video. Through the clip that has spawned a bunch of parodies, he introduced his horse dance, which drew the attention of people worldwide, including some top-notch stars in the U.S. such as Tom Cruise and Britney Spears
Boasted by his appearances on American TV shows namely "The Ellen Degeneres Show", "Today" and "Extra", the song has peaked at No. 11 on Billboard Hot 100 and topped Billboard Social 50. It additionally ranked first on iTunes chart.
So massive his phenomenon that his "Gangnam Style" clip was officially announced as the most liked YouTube video by the Guinness World Record. With more than 2 million likes, it surpassed the thumbs-up given to LMFAO's, Justin Bieber's and Adele's video.
The 34-year-old entertainer, which is known in his homeland for his humorous videos and stage performances, has a chance to add another international recognition as the viral hit is nominated for Best Video at the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards. "OMG!!! I am nominated 'BEST VIDEO' at #EMA!!!" so he tweeted when learning that his name appeared in the category alongside Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Rihanna and M.I.A.
PSY's path to stardom, however, was not smooth early in his career. His debut album, which was released in South Korea in 2001, was accused of containing "inappropriate content." In the following year, his second album sparked complaints from various civic groups due to fears of negative influence it might cause on younger generation, and was banned from being sold to those under the age of 19.
After completing his mandatory military service for the second term in 2009 and switching agencies in 2010, PSY made his comeback amidst the idol craze. It wasn't until 2012 that he released his 6th album "PSY's Best 6th Part 1" which boasted the hit song "Gangnam Style".
Riding high on his success, the hip hop star, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, was signed by Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun to Braun's Schoolboy Records. He has revealed his plan to release a song in English.
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise