Artist of the Week: PSY
PSY's popularity was rocketing within just two months following the release of "Gangnam Style" music video. Through the clip that has spawned a bunch of parodies, he introduced his horse dance, which drew the attention of people worldwide, including some top-notch stars in the U.S. such as Tom Cruise and Britney Spears
Boasted by his appearances on American TV shows namely "The Ellen Degeneres Show", "Today" and "Extra", the song has peaked at No. 11 on Billboard Hot 100 and topped Billboard Social 50. It additionally ranked first on iTunes chart.
So massive his phenomenon that his "Gangnam Style" clip was officially announced as the most liked YouTube video by the Guinness World Record. With more than 2 million likes, it surpassed the thumbs-up given to LMFAO's, Justin Bieber's and Adele's video.
The 34-year-old entertainer, which is known in his homeland for his humorous videos and stage performances, has a chance to add another international recognition as the viral hit is nominated for Best Video at the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards. "OMG!!! I am nominated 'BEST VIDEO' at #EMA!!!" so he tweeted when learning that his name appeared in the category alongside Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Rihanna and M.I.A.
PSY's path to stardom, however, was not smooth early in his career. His debut album, which was released in South Korea in 2001, was accused of containing "inappropriate content." In the following year, his second album sparked complaints from various civic groups due to fears of negative influence it might cause on younger generation, and was banned from being sold to those under the age of 19.
After completing his mandatory military service for the second term in 2009 and switching agencies in 2010, PSY made his comeback amidst the idol craze. It wasn't until 2012 that he released his 6th album "PSY's Best 6th Part 1" which boasted the hit song "Gangnam Style".
Riding high on his success, the hip hop star, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, was signed by Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun to Braun's Schoolboy Records. He has revealed his plan to release a song in English.
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'